I carry a suction-type extractor for use on insect bites and stings, most notably bees and wasps. If I were bitten by a snake and was more than 60 minutes from medical assitance, I would probably use it on the snakebite, along with a tourniquet for whatever its worth. If I had a real good chance of getting help within an hour, I would probably be inclined to follow the "current" theories that you're better off not implementing these measures.

The best cure for snakebite is not getting bitten in the first place. In snake country I usually wear tall boots and work jeans or canvas pants. Yes, they're heavy and hot in summer. But unless you're crawling around on all fours you probably will not receive a bite that breaks the skin, at least in my part of the country where we don't have tree-dwelling vipers. I also will pick up or cut a staff and poke it ahead and move slowly, pausing often to look and listen if I find myself having to go through heavy brush. The point is, an ounce of prevention is normally worth a pound of cure, but where poisonous snakes are concerned that ounce is worth something more like a ton.

Frank2135