Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 10:05 PM Whole Lot of Shakin" Goin" On by hikermor

http://temblor.net/earthquake-insights/u...arthquake-6848/

a cheery headline summarizing this predictive study graced the front page of the LA Times this morning. Basically, while earth movement is inevitable and unavoidable, it is possible to harden infrastructure and buildings to significantly reduce the consequences. While not cheap,such measures would be cost effective.

And,of course, individual preps make a lot of sense...

35 Views · 0 Comments
Yesterday at 12:16 AM Swiss Tech by Jeanette_Isabelle

I did not know this until they arrived in the mail. Mom got each of us one of these:

http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=5

I put one on my keychain; I wonder, is this thing any good? Tell me what you think.

Jeanette Isabelle

189 Views · 8 Comments
04/17/18 07:08 PM Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys by Roarmeister

It took a while but the Feds finally got around to putting together a comprehensive alert system for cell phones. You can't opt out and there is no charge for it. You will hear it unless you have your phone turned off or the sound is disabled. If you have one of the newer smart phones, the alert with its distinctive (and very annoying) tone will be broadcasted. The system will follow your phone and you will only receive alerts for your specific location. (A tornado in Edmonton won't give you an alert in Calgary!) A test of the system will be broadcast on May 5. One question, I haven't found an answer to is "If a visitor to Canada from the US was roaming on a Canadian network, would they also receive the alert?" After all, the signal is being pushed out by the Canadian cellar networks, would it affect all applicable cell phones?

I know we have had other alert systems in place for a while (my local city, my province and the weather network have all had systems in place for at least 2 years) via cell phone and TV but the Feds have finally created the national system. Hopefully, we won't get the false alarms of the type that hit Hawaii over a nuclear threat. smile We also don't have a DEFCON type of alert either.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-cellphone-emergency-alert-1.4605656

88 Views · 2 Comments
04/17/18 11:33 AM DefCon Checklist by wildman800

Here’s my reconstructed DefCon Checklist, for now:

DefCon Checklist

DefCon 5: There is peace throughout the kingdom.
DefCon 4: Hostilities may commence within 72 hours.
DefCon 3: Hostilities may commence within 48 hours.
DefCon 2: Hostilities may commence within 24 hours.
DefCom 1: Hostilities may commence imminently.

DefCon 5: (Normal times)
Maintain the normal pace of everyday life.
Keep building preps and skill levels.

DefCon 4: (72hr warning)
Keep gas tanks above the 1/2 full level.
Make a plan to construct a shelter in the ground or within your home.
Inventory all preps.
Inventory all survival equipment.
Maintain normal schedules for family and self.

DefCon 3: (48 hours warning)
Top off all gas tanks, propane tanks.

Top off food and water supplies.

Postpone any immediate vacations or out of town trips. Reprioritize or reschedule unnecessary events except for medical requirements, and work requirements.

Load camper with potable water, 4 sets of clothes for each person, additional camping gear/supplies, portable lift, DD1 hygiene supplies, Intel files,

Load truck with cargo rack/chairs, genset, propane fuel, battle rattle, 2 day hiking packs,

Move into home: MOPP Gear, emergency food stores,
Prep for relocating: financial records,

DefCon 2 (24 hr warning):
Monitor Current Events
General: top off all gas tanks and cans,

Move to Camper: all emergency cash, financial records, ready hygiene supplies for DD1. All emergency meds, field FAK's, load bicycle,

Home: box all food supplies, Clean all weps, move camper stove & fuels into home, relocate air filtration to home, bring older lift inside,

DefCon 1 (Nuclear attack imminent):
Monitor Current Events

Truck: Load gas stocks,

Home: install air filtration system, have weps ready for skirmishing, construct in home shelter in Living room,

Camper: standing by in case bugging out becomes necessary

PRIORITY TARGETS:

What are the priority nuclear targets in any country?

Priority 1: Strategic military installations (missile launch facilities, communications centers, command centers, 5,000 ft or longer runways, etc), Naval ports,

Priority 2: State capitals, major terrestrial transportation junctions (Rivers, canals, ports, interstates, railroads),

Priority 3: Tactical support bases, major metropolitan centers, major manufacturing centers, refineries,

Priority 4:

138 Views · 5 Comments
04/10/18 06:39 PM Developing Survival Skills in SAR by hikermor

"Ah,now I see why you got into SAR! Purely for the CDI factor. grin"

This comment by Phaedrus in the malibu hiker thread inspires me to rant on one of my favorite subject - SAR and Survival

Well, actually, I got involved in SAR (Search and Rescue) through a string of circumstances for which I am grateful. Wilderness SAR involvement has been one of the most positive pursuits in my life.

Survival schools are sprouting up all over the place, but I would submit that joining a SAR unit, and actively participating, will over time give you unparalleled experience in dealing with rough circumstances.

You will be called to work at very unusual times and circumstances - starting at noon on a hot summer day, or hitting the trail into a setting winter sun as a storm builds, knowing that what is in your pack and on your body will be what will sustain you for the next 24 hours, or maybe more.

But you are part of an organized group, you almost always have radio contact. Things will likely not get too far out of hand.

Sooner or later, you and the group will be faced with unusual and challenging situations. Learning will commence. Grading is a pass/fail system.

I was involve with SAR overall for more than twenty five years, very intensely for fifteen years. I learned an immense amount about team work, crisis management, unequaled joy, and deep tragedy. Oddly enough, I gained more from my SAR experience that I put into the SAR effort, and I put a lot in

636 Views · 10 Comments
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nari, Begaye, JDanny, Just, PriscillaWitherspoon
5245 Registered Users
Newest Posts
DefCon Checklist
by quick_joey_small
Today at 06:52 AM
Developing Survival Skills in SAR
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:17 AM
Swiss Tech
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:15 AM
Whole Lot of Shakin" Goin" On
by hikermor
Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant)
by Bingley
Yesterday at 05:56 AM
Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys
by Roarmeister
04/17/18 10:43 PM
Four Meals Away From Anarchy
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/15/18 03:30 PM
Camping is love
by CANOEDOGS
04/14/18 12:54 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.