Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

01/06/22 05:44 PM DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY by Doug_Ritter

I am absolutely thrilled to announce that, assuming I am able to get the 6 orders needed to start production again, I have 2 in hand, will be able to offer my Doug Ritter Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak again at the same price as back in 2019 when I ran out of the custom pack, just $2,918! NO PRICE INCREASE!

If you know anyone who might be interested, please pass this along.

Full details at http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm and below

While some components have gone up in price, some significantly, a few have actually come down and buying 6 kits worth at a time ends up saving significantly as well. Shipping ate into those savings, but works out in the end.

Option: The .5 Module that adds Personal Protection gear for 1 additional person (3 total, packed in UASP) will add $285.

Option: The +2 Add-on Module, which is packed separately in a smaller pack and also includes food and water for an additional 2 people will be $800. The Plus 2 Add-on Module is designed to be used only in combination with the UASP and is not a stand-alone survival kit.

Option: Green Rescue Laser Flare replacing Red Rescue Laser: $130 ($30 reduction in price)

I have had to change some items out, some from a different manufacturer or newer model, but with a few exceptions, it doesnít change the weight or functionality. The few notable exceptions from the original at: http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_contents.htm

As there is no longer available any quality polycarbonate 3" x 5" signal mirrors, I am moving to a mil-spec glass signal mirror. It will add 4.5 ounces with packing and is obviously more fragile (though not quite as fragile as you might think). It comes in a protective pouch and will be packed to ensure that if the kit survives, it will also. On the positive side, glass is about 20% to 30% more reflective than the previous signal mirror I was using.

The original Snow Claw I have used for years has been superseded by a next generation version thatís 1.3 ounces heavier.

At this time the 2 liter Platypus Water Tanks x 2 I have used are not available and I will be using either a single 4 liter or 6 liter, depending on availability.

Color of the sil-nylon shelter will vary depending on material availability.

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze 3"x24" replaces the Celox

The really nice roll-up sunglasses I used to use, that were comfortable to wear and could also be used over regular glasses, are no longer available and the alternatives in that space suck. As such, I am not planning on including sunglasses unless I get a lot of pushback and then Iíll find something that will work, but it will add to the cost, bulk and a few additional ounces.

Right now I only have 2 confirmed purchasers, based on the original estimated price. I need at least 4 more to make this work.

Assuming I get my 6 orders, I will require a deposit of $2,500 with the balance due upon receipt of the packs, likely in March time-frame (always subject to COVID related delays). Shipment of the initial batch of kits will occur approximately 2-3 weeks later unless thereís a hiccup in delivery of life-limited components (rations, etc). These packs only ship via UPS Ground, insured, signature required, to the continental U.S. (local delivery in the Phoenix area a free option). S&H estimate is approximately $100.

Any questions, feel free to post here or email me. I will make a decision on moving forward or not by the end of January, latest. So, if you are interested in one of my Ultimate Aviator Survival Paks, please email me ASAP at: Doug@DougRitter.com

316 Views · 2 Comments
01/04/22 06:51 PM Snowbound in Virginia on I-95 by brandtb

Two of my friends called me this morning to report they were stuck at an I-95 off ramp overnight in Virginia. Searching Virginia real time traffic on my computer, I was able to point them to an alternate route - back south to Richmond, then west to I-81.

Two Points -

(1) They are new to smart phones and couldn't figure out how to search for information.

(2) They had minimal emergency supplies in their car. Luckily, they got into a Waffle House at the off ramp. (You have to love Waffle House. Under normal circumstances it's drunks, college kids, tables for eight at 2 AM. In an emergency it's a life saver.)

364 Views · 1 Comments
12/18/21 06:37 PM Generator Advice by brandtb

I recently bought a Champion 3500 watt portable generator, and I can't get a straight answer on one thing -

Do I need to ground it? It has a neutral floating, as opposed to a neutral bonded to frame. (For some technical reason that I can't figure out this seems to be an important point.) There is a grounding point on the generator. I wrote to Champion on their site, but never got an answer back.

The generator will not be on a transfer switch with the house power. It will use grounded extension cords to power selected appliances.

From the instruction manual - A ground terminal connected to the frame of the generator has been provided. For remote grounding connect 12 AWG minimum . . . to copper rod driven into the ground. We strongly recommend . . . consult with a qualified electrician to insure compliance with local code.

However, I did talk to an electrician and he didn't think it was necessary.

1171 Views · 6 Comments
12/14/21 01:41 PM A Cautionary Tale by Doug_Ritter

From my good friend Jim Shepherd. Seems very appropriate this time of year, more so with crime soaring in some places. But, the lesson is for all seasons.

A Cautionary Tale - Jungle Wisdom

https://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/7e2ba80f-ca3b-4b6a-8491-86ffbbd37326

2964 Views · 20 Comments
12/04/21 12:59 AM Sparks using flint on carbon steel Mora? by clearwater

I see the Mora 511 knife on sale pretty cheap sometimes. Would the steel be one that would throw off sparks if struck against flint, chert, or quartzite? I know some old pockets knives of carbon steel will. And old files.

745 Views · 1 Comments
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
joshbrown, reeldoc, nibalgcosta334, marialucila63, Shad
5356 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost hiker ignored rescue calls from unknown tel#
by Eugene
06:44 PM
Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"?
by chaosmagnet
01/11/22 01:25 AM
I'm Back
by Phaedrus
01/07/22 11:53 PM
DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY
by hikermor
01/07/22 01:13 PM
Snowbound in Virginia on I-95
by Phaedrus
01/04/22 07:05 PM
More bad news about BPA in food packaging
by joshbrown
01/04/22 11:43 AM
Generator Advice
by hikermor
01/02/22 12:42 AM
Happy New Year!
by M_a_x
01/01/22 08:36 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.