Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Today at 03:36 PM Wildfire Readiness Levels by hikermor

Thinking about the current situation in Alberta and Wildman 800's very useful post on hurricane readiness levels, I wondered if there was something equivalent for wild fires. Turns out there is - The National Fire Danger Readiness System:

Low (Green)—Fire starts are unlikely. Weather and fuel conditions will lead to slow fire spread, low intensity and relatively easy control with light mop-up. Controlled burns can usually be executed with reasonable safety.

Moderate (Blue)—Some wildfires may be expected. Expect moderate flame length and rate of spread. Control is usually not difficult and light to moderate mop-up can be expected. Although controlled burning can be done without creating a hazard, routine caution should be taken.

High (Yellow)—Wildfires are likely. Fires in heavy, continuous fuel such as mature grassland, weed fields and forest litter, will be difficult to control under windy conditions. Control through direct attack may be difficult but possible and mop-up will be required.
Outdoor burning should be restricted to early morning and late evening hours.

Lots more info at : https://www.nps.gov/fire/wildland-fire/learning-center/fire-in-depth/understanding-fire-danger.cfm

Very High (Orange)—Fires start easily from all causes and may spread faster than suppression resources can travel. Flame lengths will be long with high intensity, making control very difficult. Both suppression and mop-up will require an extended and very thorough effort. Outdoor burning is not recommended.

Extreme (Red)—Fires will start and spread rapidly. Every fire start has the potential to become large. Expect extreme, erratic fire behavior. NO OUTDOOR BURNING SHOULD TAKE PLACE IN AREAS WITH EXTREME FIRE DANGER.

What is lacking is advice on individual/family preps for the various levels, but this gang on ETS should be great at that.

Personally, somewhere around Orange, I would start loading up the vehicles and prepare to leave. As far as I am concerned, staying behind to fight fire is a good way to die. You also impede the professionals who will actually make a difference (in SoCal anyway)

69 Views · 6 Comments
Today at 02:16 PM Survival novel: Above Snakes by wileycoyote

i don't know why i hadn't thought to let you folks know about this one:

Above Snakes: A Novel of Struggle and Survival on the Oregon Trail

Above Snakes is the little known story of the Utter-Van Orman wagon train and the deadliest events in the history of the Oregon Trail.

its written by my wife/partner of 40 years and just recently published. took years of research into the actual event, going over every step of each original pioneer, reading old newspaper articles, personal letters, military reports, historic documents, traveling over their route, et al. and then there was all the fact-checking into the tribes, people, firearms and tools of the era.

we're really proud of the result and it seems readers like it too (all 5-star reviews so far). available in paperback or Kindle.

more about the author at pattihudson.com

anyway, if you enjoy history survival fiction, this might just tickle you

61 Views · 3 Comments
Yesterday at 04:07 AM Question about rescue by Chisel

What do you do when you find somoene in the desert. He is collapsed and dehydrated. Do you give him as much water as he wants, or do you ration the water input : a little bit every few minutes.

Or is it better to give him some juice rather than water

Who do experts say ???

249 Views · 6 Comments
Yesterday at 02:24 AM 'Surviving a Shooting in the Amazon' by Robert_McCall

"On July 1, 2012, Davey du Plessis set off on a roughly 4,000-mile source-to-sea expedition down the Amazon. Two months and a third of the way in, he was attacked and left in the jungle to die."

Story here and video here, which has some more details and photos.

A heckuva story and plenty of things to note. One that stood out to me was that after the attack, du Plessis was separated from his boat, where the PLB was stowed. Another argument for on-body carry of critical items. Increased isolation and higher stakes call for more conservative choices about critical gear.

210 Views · 4 Comments
Yesterday at 01:42 AM Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires by Roarmeister

Some 80,000 people were officially told to evacuate after homes in some neighbourhoods were burned out in Fort McMurray in northern Alberta. Evacuation is mandatory. Conditions are tinder dry, after a very dry winter and spring, forest fires have crept up to the outskirts of town. The problem is, Fort Mac is serviced by only 1 major highway and it is in total gridlock as people try to leave. This is the largest fire evacuation that has ever been in Alberta and bigger than the Slave Lake evacuation in 2011.

This is after the NDP government of the day decided to cut back on the firefighting budget this year even though it was obviously this was going to be a severe fire fighting year.

Where do 80,000 people go on a moment's notice? Hopefully, the residents had their plans in place and the BOBs all loaded.

Last year in my province of Saskatchewan we had the town of La Ronge and other communities evacuated when fire burned to the outskirts - that was a mere 13,000 people and were housed in centres all over the province.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada...reach-city-edge

398 Views · 22 Comments
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
6 registered (hikermor, Russ, Roarmeister, wileycoyote, wildman800, Dagny), 74 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Varlan, goldnugget01, voyaginator, Ryan_Smith, Kroly
5153 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Wildfire Readiness Levels
by Roarmeister
Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires
by Roarmeister
06:37 PM
Training Preenagers to be Prepared
by bacpacjac
05:11 PM
'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article
by hikermor
04:01 PM
Survival novel: Above Snakes
by wileycoyote
03:39 PM
Earthquake Readiness Checklist
by Mark_R
03:26 PM
Question about rescue
by hikermor
11:22 PM
'Surviving a Shooting in the Amazon'
by chaosmagnet
10:03 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.