Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Today at 02:44 AM Arizona Fatality by dougwalkabout

I thought this was worthy of mention: "Searchers find missing Arizona hiker dead, his dog alive with him."

This an AP story, posted here and likely on a zillion US sites.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/searchers-f...h-him-1.5911972

This gentleman made contact via cell phone, was advised that rescue was coming, was advised to stay put, and still wandered out into difficult terrain. And perished.

It's hard to see how a person could make these decisions in their right mind. But a couple of times I have needed to fast extremely for medical tests. I found my ability to problem solve or make good decisions to deviate from a plan went downhill very quickly.

So at least I am aware of it, and that is a tool in my toolbox. I can only imagine that dehydration would hit much harder and faster. What sort of self-awareness would you cultivate to know when your cognitive abilities were impaired?

40 Views · 3 Comments
05/14/22 02:44 PM A bug that eats through your plastic gas cans by brandtb

For those who keep their own 'Strategic Petroleum Reserve' in the Southern states - something new to worry about.

[Excerpts]

Every now and then entomologists get calls that border on the bizarre. Last week I received an email from a citizen in far east Texas. He was having problems with what he said were ďinsects boring into his riding lawn mower gas tankĒ. Of course my first reaction was that insects donít eat plastic, nor do they drink gasoline. Why should they be boring into a gas tank? But the caller had photographic proof. Not only did he have pictures of the holes, he was able to pry about 15 of the crazy insects from the plastic can and take pictures of some of them.

- - - -

They [entomologists] published a scientific note describing cases where a small beetle had been found boring into plastic gas cans. The authors identified the beetle as a type of bark beetle called camphor shoot borer

- - - -

How can we use what we know about this insect to prevent it from ruining lawn mowers, and perhaps causing fiery mayhem from Charlotte to Houston? A glance at the collection data stored on BugGuide suggests that this beetle is active primarily in the spring (March to June). Storing gas canisters and mowers in enclosed sheds or under some type of tarpaulin may be helpful, especially in the spring. Keeping the outside of the plastic fuel canisters free of spilled gas also might help.

In the case of our caller, his mower was stored in a half open car port setting. If he could find gasoline without ethanol he might not be plagued any more; but these days that might be harder than building a new shed for the mower.

[Full article at link] - https://citybugs.tamu.edu/2017/04/27/boozy-beetle-the-camphor-shoot-borer/

288 Views · 3 Comments
05/12/22 01:53 PM Lifevac by pforeman

So I recently found out about this product:
https://lifevac.net/

A paramedic I know is really excited about it and I'm going to take a look at one when I can meet up with him in June. Anybody here have any experience with it or know anything more about it? From what I can see so far it looks like it may be worthwhile.

317 Views · 4 Comments
04/19/22 12:25 PM 76% of Documented Handgun Defenses Against Bears H by Doug_Ritter

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/76-of-documented-handgun-defenses-against-bears-happened-since-2000/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7QuHIu4uO

859 Views · 7 Comments
04/15/22 06:17 PM Fire escape mask & hoods by Acropolis50

Given the recent mass shooting on the NYC subway and the gunmanís employment of smoke generating devices, in the subway car and tunnel, I have a new found impetus to replace my expired XCaper Smoke Mask. As Iíve written before, albeit the XCaper site is still ďupĒ, calls and other attempts to contact the company indicate disconnected phones and no other responses to inquiries. Conclusion= They are defunct.

Iím again researching a small , light, reasonably priced alternative, fire escape mask or hood, that I can fit in my EDC bag, replacing the expired XCaper mask and swim googles, I have heretofore relied upon.

. One prerequisite is that the unit absorb CO for its effective life of 30-60 minutes, otherwise itís just a glorified N95 or N100 unit. A plus, but not a requirement, would be effectiveness against radioactive particles ( IEO a ďdirty bombĒ) and protection against basic war gases and ricin .

My research is down to the IEvac mask/ hood ~$200 and the Going Gear Fire Escape Mask/Hood ~$39.95. You may be familiar with the IEvac hood from the events of Jan.6,2022 at the Capitol in Washington D.C. That was the unit being worn by the Congress Members and Staff. It fits all the protection prerequisites and optional preferences. But it is heavy, relatively large in storage and expensive.

The Going Gear Mask / hood fits the fire smoke and CO absorption requirement. Iíve inquired via text as to chemical, biological, radioactive particles. No response as yet. Itís also much, less expensive, lighter and smaller in storage than the IEvac unit. But, I canít find any independent testing or NIOSH rating, or government endorsement equivalent to Congress and the Secret Service purchases of theIEvac unit.

Do any of you have any further knowledge, experience or comments regarding these units or suggestions for alternative products?

1675 Views · 10 Comments
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (brandtb, Ren), 62 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zed6309, Scrapiron, SIMULATIONiQ, joshbrown, reeldoc
5359 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Arizona Fatality
by Ren
0 seconds ago
A bug that eats through your plastic gas cans
by Ren
49 minutes 49 seconds ago
Anyone here knows about stocks ?
by Chisel
Today at 06:00 AM
There are many good people out there
by Chisel
05/17/22 02:50 PM
76% of Documented Handgun Defenses Against Bears H
by DaveL
05/15/22 12:11 AM
We're Moving Back to Texas
by Phaedrus
05/13/22 09:56 PM
Lifevac
by hikermor
05/13/22 01:09 PM
My Micro Blog
by Chisel
05/01/22 10:56 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.