Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 07:46 PM Pathfinder canteen cookset vs. US Mil. canteen by Blast

A person on another board asked for opinions on the Dave Canterbury's canteen cookset. I figured I'd copy/paste my thoughts here, too.

I have the Pathfinder stainless steel canteen cooking kit and it's...okay. The stove, cup, and lid are excellent and I love them. The cup is about almost 1/2" taller and has straighter sides than traditional military canteen cups. This gives about 2oz more volume to play with. I like doing "boil in a bag" cooking out in the woods so the larger Pathfinder cup makes this technique easier. I can submerge my food deeper into boiling water safely.

The Pathfinder cup lid snaps on very tight...almost to the point of being dangerous when trying to get it off if the cup is filled with something really hot. However, I have seen people insert a tubing "nipple" that allows them to use the cup as a crude distillation system for purifying sea water. I'm considering doing that to my cap.

The stove is pretty heavy duty. The top is filled with holes to let the heat escape upwards. I used a tin snips to cut out an oval in the center of the stove top to increase heat transfer from my fire to the cup rather that the stove absorbing this heat. The cuts were smoothed with a Dremel tool.

As for the canteen itself... It's big and HEAVY. When full it's too heavy to carry on a normal belt. You need to have it attached to your pack or some sort of 2" military webgear belt, especially when you have it nested with the cup, stove, and lid. That makes it inconvenient to drink from for me. Here in Texas it gets HOT and I need my water right at hand. A regular, plastic military canteen fits in the cup so that's usually what I use when hiking. In a bug-out situation I'd probably take the steel canteen though just to have a secondary container to boil water.

Summary: get the cup, cap, and stove. As for the canteen...maybe.
I'll try to get some pictures up.

The Pathfinder cup is only about 1/4" to 1/2" taller than the standard military cup.
IMG_3994 by merriwether, on Flickr
You can't see it well in this picture but the Pathfinder cup's sides are straighter so it does hold a few more ounces of water than the standard canteen cup which makes it better for boil-in-a-bad cooking.

Pathfinder next to regular canteen:
IMG_3992 by merriwether, on Flickr

The canteens:
IMG_3997 by merriwether, on Flickr
The Pathfinder has straighter sides and a big mouth.

The Pathfinder lid does NOT fit on a standard cup.
IMG_3996 by merriwether, on Flickr

My modification to the Pathfinder stove:
IMG_3995 by merriwether, on Flickr

Anyway, I like the system but I don't love the system. I paid around $69 and I don't think it's worth that for regular hiking. The prices has dropped $10 since then. However, for TEOTWAWKI it would be a solid piece of gear.
-Blast

178 Views · 5 Comments
Yesterday at 04:12 PM Woman survives 8 days in northern Saskatchewan by dougwalkabout

Here's a story of a canoe trip that went wrong. The canoe capsized in rapids. The lady was stranded alone for 8 days but after rescue was treated in hospital and released. Sadly, her husband did not survive. There's some pretty rugged and remote (but beautiful) country up there. It's all boreal forest. Reading this story I was thinking how handy Canoedogs' PFD kit would have been.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/sask...4044/story.html

120 Views · 1 Comments
08/30/14 02:11 AM Cook Stove Recommendations by Jeanette_Isabelle

For bugging in, Mom wants small cook stove recommendations. Must retain heat and not use propane.

No fireplace but we have a small screened-in porch and yard.

Jeanette Isabelle

944 Views · 25 Comments
08/29/14 04:34 PM Watching Survivorman Saved his Life? by BruceZed

Man Lost in Manitoba Forest for 3-Days

Just saw this. Lost Manitoba camper says TV show helped him survive three days lost in wilderness. He survived 3 days in Summer, other than the need for Water and Shelter all he had to do is await rescue. If he could build a fire, why not wait beside it for rescue? It is very interesting that watching Survivorman may have delayed his rescue. He walked all day just like on the show and therefore made it harder for rescuers to find him. Sure he walked out, but he injured himself doing it.

602 Views · 12 Comments
08/27/14 09:07 PM Any news of missing man? by Phaedrus

I've been trying to find an update on the missing hiker, John Simons. He disappeared while camping at or around Trapper's Lake a full month ago. Friends say he was experienced and imply he was well equipped.

408 Views · 3 Comments
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (bkcz, Russ), 68 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mwest29, pattikay57, jackstraw, Jorge, Birdman
5039 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Cook Stove Recommendations
by Quietly_Learning
Today at 05:40 PM
Pathfinder canteen cookset vs. US Mil. canteen
by Blast
Today at 05:14 PM
Watching Survivorman Saved his Life?
by Russ
Today at 04:54 PM
EBOV versus Pandemic Flu Preparedness
by Arney
Today at 03:56 PM
Woman survives 8 days in northern Saskatchewan
by Russ
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
First impressions of outdoor lighter (Burny)
by Deathwind
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Fire Pistons
by Leigh_Ratcliffe
Yesterday at 07:25 PM
Bear Gryll's
by Leigh_Ratcliffe
Yesterday at 09:10 AM
Newest Images
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
70's Buck 501
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.