Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Today at 07:55 PM Twenty bucks by TeacherRO

So the taco place was open..but their credit/ debit card machine was down. Emergency $20 bill to the rescue. The tacos tasted even better...Knowing my EDC saved the day

9 Views · 1 Comments
Yesterday at 10:03 AM Preparedness: getting the inventory ready. by Liea55

I watched the Accountant movie starring Ben Affleck the other idea. In the movie, he has a safe house which is a trailer truck that has all the important stuff for his use in case of an emergency.

I was thinking maybe we all should have a safe house for the preparedness. One of my friends recently constructed a mini storage steel building for rentals. People usually store the equipment and tools, and vehicles.

After seeing the movie, I though I should rent a space there. I can use it as the preparedness storage. What do you guys think?

163 Views · 4 Comments
Yesterday at 05:45 AM Core temp, cold extremities, sweating by bigmbogo

My friend is an avid mountain biker, year-round. We were talking about dressing for the cold, and he told me that his hands and feet get freezing cold in the winter, despite wearing quality hand and footwear.

I suggested that his core temperature was too low, and if he kept his head and torso warmer, his extremities would warm up. He disagreed, saying that while biking his core temperature is so warm that he sweats profusely while his extremities freeze. Apparently the guys he bikes with seem to all have the same issue.

I guess I assumed that if you're sweating, that means your core temperature is warm. Maybe too warm.

He says he tends to dress pretty light, and seems to understand layers, etc.

I don't usually do anything as strenuous as he does, but I tend to stay warm outside. If I start to sweat, I remove a layer or ventilate, but my hands and feet tend to still stay warm.

What suggestions do you all have?

Thanks,

David

261 Views · 12 Comments
02/17/17 10:48 PM EPIRB and SPOT to the rescue by Newsman

This just came across my email.

I'll bet these folks are glad they had technology with them because it kept them from having a painful stay in a life raft.

---
From Coast Guard Detachment Texas

Good Samaritan rescues 4 from life raft in Gulf of Mexico

HOUSTON — Four people were rescued from a life raft by a good Samaritan aboard a fishing boat almost 100 miles southeast of Galveston, in bad weather, Friday afternoon.

Coast Guard 8th District watchstanders directed two Coast Guard cutters, a helicopter and an airplane to search for the missing boat crew after they received a satellite distress signal, or Electronic Position Indicating Radio Beacon, at 12:30 p.m. At about 12:45 p.m., watchstanders at Sector Houston-Galveston received a phone call from the owner of the 26-foot fishing boat, Reel Hazard, saying that he was receiving messages through the boat crew’s SPOT Satellite Messenger. Initial messages told him, “need help,” as well as their position and eventually the messages said that they were in a life raft.

The Houston based watchstanders began broadcasting an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast to alert mariners of the distressed people in the life raft, in case anyone could help. The Galveston based Coast Guard Cutters Dauntless and Manowar were already underway and began making way toward the life raft. An Air Station Corpus Christi HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew was set to search for the life raft and support an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Houston.

Fortunately, someone aboard a 35-foot sport fishing boat received one of the information broadcast and was able to get to the location quickly, where they found and rescued all four people aboard the life raft. Still far from normal radio broadcast range, the crew was able to use the satellite messenger to tell the owner of the boat that they had been rescued.

The good Samaritan and rescued individuals should return to Galveston Yacht Basin at about 6 p.m. No medical concerns were mentioned.

-USCG-

145 Views · 2 Comments
02/14/17 06:32 PM Shasta Dam & Lake Isabel Dam by wildman800

The word I am hearing from local Californians is that there are problems at these 2 dams also. Has anybody got any factual knowledge and/or experience on these dams?

262 Views · 3 Comments
February
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjin), 312 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ShaniCosta, Liea55, Daire22, mudwasp17, charlie
5179 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Twenty bucks
by bws48
34 minutes 50 seconds ago
Preparedness: getting the inventory ready.
by TeacherRO
56 minutes 40 seconds ago
Rethinking my edc ( every day carry)
by TeacherRO
58 minutes 19 seconds ago
Core temp, cold extremities, sweating
by wildman800
Today at 03:54 PM
Experience the Best Teacher
by Tjin
Today at 08:18 AM
Oroville Dam
by Russ
02/18/17 08:16 PM
EPIRB and SPOT to the rescue
by Russ
02/17/17 11:49 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by wildman800
02/17/17 07:08 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.