Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 01:50 AM Super Shelter by MLavallee

I have a question about super shelters in some pictures I see the parachute appears to be over the plastic and in other pictures the plastic is over the parachute. When the plastic is on top is that for when there might be a chance of rain? When the parachute is on top is that more for winter time when there's not much of a chance of rain? Thanks

190 Views · 5 Comments
01/17/17 02:36 AM goTenna = bad idea? by Bingley

I saw this device, advertised for "disaster relief" among other things.

http://www.gotenna.com/

It doesn't rely on cell towers or an "external" infrastructure. It requires a network of other goTenna users. Is it just me, or does this seem like a bad idea to you, too?

404 Views · 13 Comments
01/16/17 05:56 PM What should you carry and why? by hikermor

What should you carry with you when out and about? Many different scenarios and situations, but I would consider a typical, relatively short day hike, like the one I took yesterday on a nearly perfect sunny cool day with an excellent forecast.

i was only hiking about a mile up the very obvious trail and then a mile back down. This trail sees a lot of traffic, especially on the weekend, so, although I was technically hiking solo, I wan't really alone.

Here is what I toted:

EDC (in pockets): key ring with small multitool, small pry bar, lighter, cash stash; cell phone, wallet w/band aids and the usual, cotton bandanna, wide brimmed hat, ball point pen; small flashlight, hiking staff

Small backpack: rainjacket w/hood, reflective vest, leather gloves, small pack of food bars w/coffee and tea packets, Biclighter in Exotac holder, liter bottle w/cup.

small roll of TP, notepaper, mirror; small FAK w/dressings and tape; "core bag" w/ headlamp, whistle, folding knife, match safe (filled), compass, signal mirror, duct tape, fire tabs, box of matches, heetsheet emergency bivvy, esbit fuel tab, 10 feet of masons twine

folding sierra cup and lid w/ esbit stove, folding spoon, small bottle of alcohol fuel/fire starter, bic lighter, 3 esbit tabs, coffee and tea packets

Wave w/bit kit and extender and 4" adjustable wrench, skeletool

No map because I know the area very well, but one should have been included, anyway.

I met about twenty people along the trail during this trip. Nearly everyone had much less than I did. Only two people carried backpacks, and several carried nothing, not even water bottles.

I would not go out with less. Why? My SAR experience provided countless examples of day hikes/picnic strolls that turned into full blown ops, some with tragic outcomes. When I go for a walk, I try to prepare to assist others who might be in distress or confused.

Just as I was ending my trip, I encountered a couple. He had a pack and two hiking staffs. She was holding a baby (one year old +/-) to her chest with her hands. Did I mention the trail was quite muddy from recent rains? I thought - there is an accident waiting to happen. Once SAR, always a bit of SAR, I guess.

The list above is pretty much my minimum for almost any excursion. For longer trips, a better stove and more extensive cooking gear, sleeping bag, tent or tarp, and other accessories appropriate to the trip (ice axe, rope, harness, whatever) PLB?)

Note that I could probably start a fire, if conditions were appropriate. Although there was no water along the trail as far as I went, there was a fairly dependable source about 3/4 mile distant
along the trail.

So what do you carry on day hikes and why? What for longer trips?

486 Views · 15 Comments
01/16/17 01:55 PM AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by Jeanette_Isabelle

I'm looking for water prep solutions. Has anyone used the AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS? What are your thoughts on this kit?

http://survivalresources.com/Products/Aqua_Pouch_Plus.html

Jeanette Isabelle

393 Views · 16 Comments
01/13/17 01:59 AM non 550 paracord? by TeacherRO

Has anyone tried the smaller paracords for edc?

336 Views · 6 Comments
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, haertig), 245 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mtglass, Vampyr_Engel, jayjoe1010, Hilda000, David2Michel
5174 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Super Shelter
by hikermor
Today at 04:37 PM
goTenna = bad idea?
by Russ
Today at 01:49 PM
What should you carry and why?
by Mark_R
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
"Musher's Pouch" for survival gear
by Mark_R
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS
by Russ
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
Death by Abalone
by Russ
01/18/17 07:08 PM
Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines
by Russ
01/18/17 02:14 PM
Fake news literacy may be taught in schools
by Mark_R
01/18/17 12:10 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.