Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 06:52 AM Solar/ Handcrank flashlights by ATN

I recently bought a solar/ handcrank flashlight called Secur and it seems pretty good. So far I have only used it during a power outage but it does seem to work well and feels pretty sturdy. Does anyone else have it or any suggestions on other good ones? Would such a flashlight work well in wilderness situations? Thanks.

201 Views · 6 Comments
02/24/15 05:22 PM a trove of PLB success stories by Glock-A-Roo

Here is a large collection of PLB success stories at ACR's website. There are plenty of lessons to be learned or reinforced. Some of the stories reveal mistakes made, and some (IMO) didn't really justify PLB use. But then maybe not all the pertinent info is there, and not everyone is a meticulous narrator. A few include web links to news reports of their ordeals.

As with the AAC's "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" there is value in studying the misfortunes of others.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with ACR, though I do carry their Res-Q-Link PLB. I happened across this page at their site while getting info on replacing my PLB's battery.

275 Views · 4 Comments
02/23/15 08:37 PM Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics... by cedfire

Wanted to share a few quick photos of a homemade SERE & survival kit, housed in a Topo Designs small accessory pouch. This is still a work in progress, with items that need to be added (Kevlar cordage, snare wire, fish hooks, etc.). The idea is that this kit will be layered with other items carried, so it's not really meant to be completely stand-alone. I haven't completely decided about including any sharps yet -- as there are already several as EDC.

Flickr album link @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/26438889@N08/sets/72157650992532671/

965 Views · 14 Comments
02/22/15 02:59 AM Monkey EMT by Bingley

Monkey EMT grabs his electrocuted friend, dunks him in water, and revives him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L08ar9ZwZw

360 Views · 2 Comments
02/20/15 02:49 PM Lessons from a canoe accident by hikermor

Here's the narrative:

Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River (TX)
Overdue Canoeist Rescued From Lower Canyons

On February 15th, rangers Greg Drum and Beau Bracken began a search for a 68-year-old man from Albuquerque who had departed on January 30th to canoe the remote Lower Canyons portion the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River.

When his permit revealed to rangers that he was overdue, a request for assistance was put in to the U.S. Customs Air and Marine Branch out of Alpine, Texas. Drum joined the pilot to assist him with the aerial search.

The man was spotted on the Mexican side of the river near Upper Madison Falls, a Class III/IV rapid. Hed attempted to portage the rapid, but became stranded due to his physical condition and diminished supplies. He said that hed flipped his canoe several times earlier in the trip and had lost a bag filled with essential medication. Without his medication, he had begun to succumb to extreme lethargy and was unable to continue his trip. He said he hadnt seen another human during his entire time on the river and therefore believed his chance of rescue was miniscule.

Drum was dropped off nearby and hiked to the mans location. Using his canoe, Drum helped him back across the Rio Grande. The pilot waited on the Texas shore, then flew him to park headquarters in Panther Junction. He was transported to Big Bend Regional Medical Center, treated there, and released with no lasting injuries.

The remote Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic are among the most rugged and desolate locations in the Lower 48. Rangers are the only people who patrol the river along this stretch of international border

A couple of points:

1) The bureaucratic permit system one endures in many areas can sometimes be quite beneficial, even if it is a PITA.

2) Essential meds - how to deal with them when away from civilization? Keep them in a waterproof container with coffe and chocolate and other critical items?

966 Views · 11 Comments
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ProfScouter, Vinjints, vanbell88, RoseWysma, M_Gonzalez
5086 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Raising a toast to OldBaldGuy
by Phaedrus
07:55 AM
Survival Movies (Detour)
by haertig
07:50 AM
Emergency contact disc for your car
by Alex
08:12 PM
Pocket/pack Fishing Rod
by boatman
08:07 PM
Homemade SERE & Survival Kit w/pics...
by boatman
07:27 PM
Solar/ Handcrank flashlights
by Tjin
05:16 PM
Flat whistles for urban kit
by Mark_R
12:42 AM
Strawberry Rhubarb dump cake
by Ren
02/27/15 11:19 PM
Newest Images
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
70's Buck 501
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.