Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 03:09 AM Missing father and son found dead by Phaedrus

Very sad story...a pair of missing hikers, a father and son, were found dead in Carlsbad Caverns. From the story:

The extraordinary heat wave gripping the western United States has so far been blamed for at least four deaths, authorities said Wednesday.

The bodies of Robert Stuart Pluta, 57, and his son Bobby, 21, of Corpus Christi, Texas, were discovered Monday and Tuesday respectively, in Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico, where daily high temperatures have topped 100 degrees for almost a week, New Mexico State Police said Wednesday.

The Plutas, both of whom were experienced hikers, had been on a hiking trip since Wednesday of last week but hadn't been heard from since they checked into their hotel, NBC station KRIS of Corpus Christi reported. A parkwide search was launched on Monday.

Apparently they took a father-son trip over Father's Day and had been out of contact for a couple of days. Not a lot of details but presumably lack of water and heat combined to kill them. It's a sad case but a reminder to everyone to be especially careful in extremely hot weather.

135 Views · 4 Comments
06/09/17 06:15 AM Four rescues in 2 days - Coconimo County, AZ by rafowell

The Arizona Daily Sun posted this story today:

Four rescues in 2 days - - Coconimo County, AZ

In three of the four cases, the rescuee was in trouble due to injury ( 2 falls, one medical emergency (details unstated)). In the fourth case, the rescuee lost the trail.

In two of the four cases, it wasn't clear how the rescuers were alerted - in the other two, it seems it was by cell phone.

318 Views · 1 Comments
06/06/17 11:51 PM New: The Donner Party’s Deadly Fork in the Road by Doug_Ritter

New Book: The Donner Party’s Deadly Fork in the Road

The Donner Party spurned the advice of a mountain man they met, who told them to stick to the trail west and avoid an alternative route. David A. Price reviews “The Best Land Under Heaven: The Donner Party in the Age of Manifest Destiny” by Michael Wallis.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-donner-partys-deadly-fork-in-the-road-1496702248

Or search Google for: WSJ Donner

277 Views · 0 Comments
06/04/17 06:00 AM canoe country rescue by CANOEDOGS

the park i'll be going into next week for a two week solo canoe trip had a search and rescue in the last few days.
from what I gather they were lost and overdue for four days.
they got turned around in the maze of lakes and creeks in the wilderness park.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/01/search-underway-for-overdue-group-in-boundary-waters/
the link gives the full story and I promise that this year i'll take the advice I got here on ETS and carry my PLB on my person at all times!

970 Views · 11 Comments
06/02/17 03:58 PM Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp by MontanaSteve

Based on Doug's recommendation, I purchased an Oware tarp. I notice that in the Aviation survival kit, there's this item:

DR Special Instructions For Use of Tarp - waterproof

Is it possible to get a copy of that so I best know how to use my tarp?

Thanks!

949 Views · 6 Comments
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjin), 303 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CanvasNBrass, MontanaSteve, carlpadilla, mereywatson, tamz75
5201 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Missing father and son found dead
by hikermor
Today at 05:28 PM
USGI Radio Pouches
by wildman800
Today at 12:37 PM
canoe country rescue
by KenK
Today at 12:20 PM
What info to leave to ID your body?
by CANOEDOGS
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Desert Medical Emergency AAR--What done right and
by hikermor
Yesterday at 12:58 PM
The 2017 Hurricane Season has commenced
by wildman800
06/22/17 05:56 AM
Spark-Lites
by Phaedrus
06/18/17 02:19 AM
Fidget Spinners....
by bacpacjac
06/17/17 01:56 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.