Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Today at 03:10 AM Respirators (& other breathing filtration) by Russ

Since another thread is primarily about the fires ongoing in CA, I thought it might be timely to start a thread about respirators to deal with one of the by-products of wildfires. First though, what is Smoke?
Quote:
Smoke is a collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases ...
... so while a particulate filter like an N-95 mask might work well at a distance where all you have is particles and otherwise okay air, nearer the fire there are other gases.

I have two respirators; the first is a 3M half-face which has two filter mounts left & right, (currently w/ P100 particulate filters). While the P100 filters are great at removing particles, they donít do much for gases. I use this mask for shop work when Iím putting lots of sawdust in the air. Sometimes I just where a simple N-95 mask, almost as good.

Then thereís my SundstrŲm full-face respirator, which has a single filter mount on which you can stack/piggyback multiple filters of various types. Of note, the SundstrŲm H05-6121L Wildland First Responder Respirator Kit is similar to mine although in a half mask design. This system comes with both an SR-232 OV/SD/CL/HC/HF (organic vapor, sulfur dioxide, chlorine, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride) Chemical Cartridge, the SR-510 P100 Particulate Filter and the SR-221 Pre-Filter which can be piggybacked. The Wildland First Responder Respirator Kit also has a Spark Arrester which I donít have.

I mention what I have not as an expert (which Iím not) on what is needed, but as a point of departure for discussion. Iíve never tested my system near a real wildfire. Iím confident it will help a lot as Iím driving away from the area, but if a wildfire is that close, I screwed up by waiting too long.

45 Views · 3 Comments
Today at 12:59 AM Community Standards by chaosmagnet

Recent events have given me the impression that I need to take a firmer hand in maintaining standards of civility here on ETS. I would rather not spend my time that way.

Look for PMs from me if I need you to change your wording or tone.

I would prefer not to discuss this further publicly. PM me with any questions.

chaosmagnet

48 Views · 0 Comments
11/12/18 08:18 PM fresh motivation to pack a "Go bag" by TeacherRO

The california fires have moved me to take a look at a new "go bag" ( and one for the puppy.)

307 Views · 4 Comments
11/09/18 07:03 PM California Wildfires- Nov. by TeacherRO

The fires are large and growing rapidly -- and the evacuation orders cover a large segment of the population.

934 Views · 30 Comments
11/08/18 09:30 PM RSK-G2 by Ors

I just want to say how THRILLED I was when I signed in to the forum last night after being away for months and seeing the announcement about the RSK-G2!

I have a mini RSK, and had a mini and regular sized limited edition RSKís.

HAD bring the operative term...the limited editions were stolen from me.

Now I am looking forward to once again carrying a full size RSK, and with some upgrades!

473 Views · 7 Comments
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Montanero, hikermor), 237 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale, rac
5267 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Respirators (& other breathing filtration)
by KenK
Winter preps -- Time for the switch over
by chaosmagnet
01:19 PM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by TeacherRO
06:37 AM
Monthly reminder - tech
by TeacherRO
06:33 AM
Stuff to pick up at your local thrift store
by TeacherRO
06:31 AM
California Wildfires- Nov.
by katarin
02:47 AM
Community Standards
by chaosmagnet
12:59 AM
Roy Clark
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09:46 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.