Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

10/23/14 09:06 PM How much should a survival bag weigh? by ATN

Generally, about how much should a survival bag/survival kit/ bug out bag weigh?

380 Views · 14 Comments
10/23/14 03:14 AM The lowly battery-operated radio by Arney

I was just reading this article about a recent simulation by NYC of a small yield nuke in Times Square.

To me, the most interesting part of the article was the suggestion by the emergency managers that radio, particularly battery-operated radio, would be the go to form of communication when power and cell towers are knocked out over a wide area.

Quote:
"What's the message? Shelter in place, evacuate, seek medical aid. How would we do that? Social media, if it's up and running. We know a lot of this is going to be down for a time period, so we know that a big part of it would be radios," Esposito said. "The best thing would be portable radios."

I'm listening to my Giants in the World Series on my little portable radio right now. Down 7-2 now...

882 Views · 35 Comments
10/21/14 07:22 PM on not being blind by LCranston

For those other members that are mostly blind without glasses:

Eye Buy Direct, is offering their Buy One Pair of Glasses and Get The Second Pair FREE after Coupon Code: "BOGO" (Exp 10/27)
One pair must be at least $14.95 for this deal to work. Shipping starts at $4.95. Case and cleaning cloth included.

link eyebuydirect.com

I am not in sales, and do not make any money from this, I am just another customer.

I have bought from Zenni Optical and Eye Buy Direct and had good luck with both.

If you have never shopped online for glasses, they ask for one item that is not usually on regular Prescription- pupillary distance (distance from middle of face to each pupil)

Your doctor can give this to you when you get your eyes checked.

460 Views · 8 Comments
10/21/14 03:23 PM NatGeo: Two years after Sandy by Arney

I thought this National Geographic article looking back at Hurricane Sandy two years later had some interesting points.

For example, I had no idea that the National Hurricane Center basically became unable to forecast and provide information about Sandy as it neared NYC--its systems just could not do it. At that point, the NHC handed off responsibility to local weather centers. The emergency managers in NYC were caught off guard because all of their plans assumed steady info from the NHC regarding the progress of the hurricane and suddenly it was cut off.

From the article:

Quote:
The thing of it is, Mother Nature plays to win—and she wins every time.

349 Views · 5 Comments
10/17/14 10:13 PM Ebola reporting by Ontario

Hi all,

If you hear of anyone in your city/town getting Ebola can you post it under this thread. I trust forum members more than any news.

All is perfectly well in Sudbury Ontario.

Yours truly,
James

411 Views · 8 Comments
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (CANOEDOGS, Tjin), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AaronBlain, jade30, Surge, survivelonger, hunterp
5057 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What would you pick for your survival kit?
by CANOEDOGS
How much should a survival bag weigh?
by chaosmagnet
03:20 PM
The lowly battery-operated radio
by wileycoyote
02:52 PM
Saved from bear attack by...
by Bingley
03:57 AM
Ebola - prevention and mitigation
by bws48
10:01 PM
Survival kit for UFO abduction?
by Colourful
08:15 PM
on not being blind
by TeacherRO
05:03 PM
Ebola reporting
by Pete
03:56 PM
Newest Images
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
70's Buck 501
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.