Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Today at 03:23 PM NatGeo: Two years after Sandy by Arney

I thought this National Geographic article looking back at Hurricane Sandy two years later had some interesting points.

For example, I had no idea that the National Hurricane Center basically became unable to forecast and provide information about Sandy as it neared NYC--its systems just could not do it. At that point, the NHC handed off responsibility to local weather centers. The emergency managers in NYC were caught off guard because all of their plans assumed steady info from the NHC regarding the progress of the hurricane and suddenly it was cut off.

From the article:

Quote:
The thing of it is, Mother Nature plays to win—and she wins every time.

11 Views · 0 Comments
10/17/14 10:13 PM Ebola reporting by Ontario

Hi all,

If you hear of anyone in your city/town getting Ebola can you post it under this thread. I trust forum members more than any news.

All is perfectly well in Sudbury Ontario.

Yours truly,
James

204 Views · 2 Comments
10/17/14 09:45 PM Universally useful -- what goes into every pack? by TeacherRO

Some things are so useful, I've got them in nearly every pack, case or kit. Here are some of mine -- What are yours?

-a knife
- cash
- a light
- watch cap
- garbage bag
- pen

495 Views · 9 Comments
10/16/14 04:06 AM What would you pick for your survival kit? by ATN

Let's say you're in a Tom Hanks situation like in his movie, Cast Away. What would you pick for a survival kit where you are stranded on a deserted island for an extended period of time? You have the following limitations:

1. The survival kit must be in a container (backpack, fanny pack, etc).

2. The whole survival kit (container, food, water, etc) has a maximum weight of 25 pounds.

3. Your maximum budget for the survival kit is 300 dollars.

898 Views · 16 Comments
10/16/14 02:09 AM Shoots bear, and buddy by AKSAR

In an unfortunate incident, a Canadian was mauled by a bear, and then shot by his friend who was trying to shoot the bear:
Fernie grizzly bear attack victim Wilf Lloyd remains in Calgary hospital
Quote:
Wilf Lloyd, 56, was hunting elk with his son-in-law Skeet Podrasky when the bear attacked, in a heavily wooded area about eight kilometres south of the small mountain community. Podrasky fired on the bear but missed, sending a shot into his hunting partner, before he finally hit and killed the animal.

Other reports are that Mr. Lloyd may lose his leg as a result: Grizzly attack victim may need leg amputation
Quote:
Family friends say doctors are trying to place a rod in Wilf’s injured leg. If that isn’t successful, it may need to be amputated.

591 Views · 12 Comments
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (IzzyJG99, Montanero), 62 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
survivelonger, hunterp, Dave123, ATN, tank9c1
5054 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Welcome to ETS!
by Cauldronborn2
Today at 04:43 PM
NatGeo: Two years after Sandy
by Arney
Today at 03:23 PM
Lost or Stolen Cell Phone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:39 PM
Ebola - media & society
by Bingley
Today at 05:28 AM
John D. Mccann's Book, "Build The Perfect Survival
by ATN
Yesterday at 11:33 PM
Universally useful -- what goes into every pack?
by wileycoyote
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
What would you pick for your survival kit?
by ATN
Yesterday at 08:50 PM
How to tell if you're new at this...
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
Newest Images
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
70's Buck 501
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.