Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 01:23 PM Yet Another Lost Hiker in Joshua Tree - Found! by hikermor

Fell and injured; finally found alive after five days. Why tell anyone where you are going??

153 Views · 11 Comments
03/17/18 04:41 PM Four Meals Away From Anarchy by Tirec

I've heard ranges from four meals to three days. I suspect the more urban the environment, the shorter the time.

Of course, those of us here are well prepared...?

Britain 'four meals away from anarchy' if cyber attack takes out power grid

"a study by the UK’s security services had estimated the country is “four meals away from anarchy” because looting would erupt and civil order would start to break down as soon as people had eaten what they had in their cupboards and fridges."

There are organizations I've never heard of before, i.e. the "Centre for the Study of Existential Risk."

Keep on Preppin'

707 Views · 25 Comments
03/17/18 04:37 AM How do you know when to bail? by Bingley

I came across this scary video of a ski lift gone insane in Georgia (not the American state, but the state that was formerly a part of the USSR). Watch both videos if you're curious, but they are not for kids. Apparently the ski lift got set on fast reverse. Some people jumped off. Other people couldn't and got tossed out when the seat made the turn. A few hung on and they were piled on by the seats (I only hope no one died).

So this made me think of a more general question. In an emergency situation, how do you know when to bail? In the ski lift situation, are you going to jump too early (and face the consequences of a deep drop), jump at just the right time (minimizing injury), or get trapped under the seats? I've been thinking about Vietnam. Some people ran away between 1974 and 1975 -- before the situation got dangerous and risky. Some people were able to get out before North Vietnam took over. How did they know when to run?

307 Views · 5 Comments
03/16/18 01:11 PM Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days by Montanero

Utah Snowmobiler Lost for 4 Days

He survived by not giving up. He had nothing except some fire starting material (in another article he discusses building a fire, and burning a hole in his boot) and was fairly well dressed for the conditions.

519 Views · 11 Comments
03/15/18 02:02 PM Trauma Packs by Ian

I would be intrigued to know your thoughts on these.

Which seem to be enhanced versions of these:

311 Views · 4 Comments
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle, Montanero), 225 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Just, PriscillaWitherspoon, Contable, Stephen021, FNORD
5242 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Four Meals Away From Anarchy
by Phaedrus
03:00 AM
Yet Another Lost Hiker in Joshua Tree - Found!
by hikermor
01:58 AM
Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days
by TeacherRO
03/19/18 10:35 PM
New Solar Kit
by LCranston
03/19/18 03:01 PM
How do you know when to bail?
by Phaedrus
03/18/18 04:54 AM
Mora Fireknife + extras deal at Woot!
by Phaedrus
03/17/18 02:10 AM
Knife Laws
by UTAlumnus
03/16/18 02:16 AM
Trauma Packs
by LesSnyder
03/16/18 01:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.