Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

11/21/14 08:49 PM How much water do you carry for a day hike? by ATN

How much water do you generally carry for a day hike? I know it will vary a little from region to region but on average, how much water do you start off with on your day hike? Pick the closest answer.

667 Views · 12 Comments
11/19/14 09:44 PM Superstorm Sandy books by AKSAR

Not long ago, a Washington Post review of a pair of new books on Hurricane Sandy caught my eye. I have since read both books, and both are fascinating.

As noted in the WaPo review, Sobel's book is written from the perspective of a scientist and self described weather geek, and is heavy on science. It is interesting to read about how the NHC and NWS struggled to communicate to the public the nature of the storm as it changed, and the huge risk to the public. Also fascinating is his discussion of what Sandy means (and notably does not mean) with respect to climate change.

Miles book is more of a down in the dirt discussion of people in the moment. She gives the perspective of Sandy from the Hurricane Hunters who flew into it, cruise ship passengers, and of course the ill fated vessel "HMS Bounty".

Being far away in Alaska, my only knowledge of Sandy comes from what I read. As I said above, I found both books fascinating. I would be interested to hear what those on ETS who experienced Sandy first hand think of these books?

124 Views · 0 Comments
11/19/14 04:01 PM Unusual Toxic Spill by hikermor

Life can be complicated,even in sunny SoCal... http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/ve...losion_29956958

142 Views · 0 Comments
11/18/14 04:03 AM a medic's EDC by TeacherRO

EMT every day carry -- for comparison (to yours)

834 Views · 13 Comments
11/17/14 04:58 PM Are you ready for 30 years of cold? by Russ

Are you ready for 30 years of colder temps, much colder... ?
Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth
Something in my brain has had me buying wool and fleece in the face of all the global cooling hype. Time to buy another parka...

I guess we'll see... time to set up a greenhouse...

2121 Views · 36 Comments
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Doug_Ritter, Russ), 64 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
relaxrsgdfifa, knifeman, harrybrad, Funkybassjunky, JacobTyler
5063 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What to do with Cord Ends
by TonyE
11:16 PM
Eye-opening Cold Weather camping experience
by hikermor
10:46 PM
One Sure Fire - Emergency Fire Bundle
by chaosmagnet
08:58 PM
Monocular suggestions?
by Brangdon
04:19 PM
Mini-RSK Mk1 - Long Term Testing
by Phaedrus
09:11 AM
Fiador Knot Gear Carrier + Tutorial Link
by TonyE
04:45 AM
Survival Balloon?
by CANOEDOGS
11/24/14 06:50 PM
How much water do you carry for a day hike?
by M_a_x
11/23/14 12:18 PM
Newest Images
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
70's Buck 501
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.