Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Yesterday at 06:49 PM Getting through a cold night by hikermor

It's going to be really cold. What can you do to make things a bit warmer and make a comfortable night possible?

Choose your camp site with care. Stay out of the bottom of drainages - cold air sinks - a level spot out of the bottom is best - ridge crests are likely to be windy. Take advantage of any natural shelter. A dry rock shelter can be ideal, especially if faces the rising sun...

A good sleeping bag is priceless when facing a cold night, but the rating of any bag can be exceeded. Be sure and insulate from the ground below by anything handy - a foam pad, dry leaves, whatever... Roll out your bag and give it time to puff out to get full advantage.

I like to wear a full layer of dry clothing to bed - synthetic tights, long sleeve tops, and something on the head, especially to cover the neck. This protects the bag as well as warming you.

A companion in the bivy sack or tent makes you both warmer. You might be cramped, but you will be cramped and warm.

Food, especially something with protein, and a bit o exercise helps you generate heat, but don't overdo it.

Anything you can add which will increase the thickness of your insulation surrounding you will make you warmer - just don't compress the insulation in your bag.

Years ago, we measured the temperature differential inside and outside the poncho we had stretched over our our sleeping bags. There was a 5 degree difference, so just about any barrier between you and the open sky is worthwhile.

A fire will keep you warm, but some kind of a reflector is really essential. No reflector means one side will be hot, while the other side is extremely cold. You can't imagine how I know this...

I have experienced some really cold, miserable nights, but on every occasion, i did get some rest, and was more capable in the morning. The sun will rise - just be patient.

I am sure others will have tricks and tips to add to this heated topic....Fire away!

32 Views · 2 Comments
Yesterday at 05:54 AM A new to me BOB concept by Ors

So I'm working on BOB's for my family.

I stumbled across this video and it got my attention.

I'm a bit of a dichotomy, because I'm fascinated with minimalism, and yet I tend to overpack often times. The concepts this gentleman expresses make a lot of sense to me.

I'm also trying to plan for the most likely bug out scenarios we as a family will face in our new home in Florida. Extreme cold is highly improbable. I know in mid to late winter, the temperature can drop below freezing overnight, but not below that. Most of the weather we would face in a bug out (besides bugs) would be heavy rain, wind, and sun.

The gentleman in the video builds the shelter part of this BOB with a poncho and bivy bag. I have no experience yet with this approach.

By the way, the bivy he uses is $135...is that typical? I've carried Heetsheets bivys in my car for years, and I know that's different...but, wow. Especially if I'm putting together four of these BOB's!

I guess a big part of this is learning the new environment. Have to be much more aware of critters than anyplace I've lived before, if I'm poncho sheltering for sure. Panthers, bears, alligators, crocodiles, snakes of all kinds, fire ants...a few weeks ago, authorities down south had been chasing a monitor lizard for three weeks...those are endangered, and NOT native to this continent.

I'm learning my knots, left handed and right handed, and working on doing them with my eyes closed...working so I don't have to think about it.

We'd have to add some things to a BOB of this concept...for one, a way to keep my wife's insulin cold enough to keep from going bad. We've got a plug in cooler for the car, but if we had to go on foot, that challenge gets a whole lot more interesting. That truly is a life or death situation for her.

Just a lot of thinking out loud I guess.

This guy has several videos on related topics. Seems to know his stuff.

What do you think? Any huge red flags coming up for you with what he says?

107 Views · 3 Comments
11/18/18 11:32 PM Primative Firemaking by Ors

Just curious how many here have primative firemaking skills. Bow and drill ll...hand drill...

We go to a song circle every summer, and a couple of years ago, there was a group teaching primative firemaking. Every fire circle that year began with someone starting the first the old fashioned way.

Seems to me it would be a good skill to have.

No one was teaching it in SoCal, and with good reason considering the current fires, and Iím not finding local classes here in Florida, but maybe itís not something people are thinking about here.

Just wondering who has those chops.

324 Views · 13 Comments
11/18/18 06:43 AM Family Prep with difficult people by Ors

Just over two years ago, we moved to SoCal from the Midwest. For the first time in our marriage (over six years now) my wife took the idea of prep seriously. The kids were supposed to pack a small earthquake kit to leave at school, etc.

In the process, I discovered some strong differences of opinion in what ďpreparedĒ means to my wife and stepdaughter.

The real differences came with food. Weíre a little complicated...three out of the four of us are vegetarian, and one eats poultry, but has Celiac and needs gluten free food.

I was suggesting a combination of MREís, camping food, and those ration bars (forget the name...I know those arenít gluten free).

My wife is somewhat particular about what she will and will not eat, and my stepdaughter is downright picky.

Their idea is just to pack a bunch of granola bars in a BOB, and ďweíll be fine!Ē

Iím thinking about the psychological benefit of a hot meal in a stressful situation, but they think for days on end granola bars are going to do it for them.

We live in Florida now, and the possibility of days or weeks without power and water is very real after a hurricane. Weíre also ironing out shelter in place plans...lots to do there too.

I guess what it comes down to is let them think their granola bars are going to work for them, and go ahead with my plans for providing some hot meals in the mix as well,

They may stick with their granola bars, but Iíll feel better knowing there are options for them.

231 Views · 6 Comments
11/16/18 03:10 AM Respirators (& other breathing filtration) by Russ

Since another thread is primarily about the fires ongoing in CA, I thought it might be timely to start a thread about respirators to deal with one of the by-products of wildfires. First though, what is Smoke?
Quote:
Smoke is a collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases ...
... so while a particulate filter like an N-95 mask might work well at a distance where all you have is particles and otherwise okay air, nearer the fire there are other gases.

I have two respirators; the first is a 3M half-face which has two filter mounts left & right, (currently w/ P100 particulate filters). While the P100 filters are great at removing particles, they donít do much for gases. I use this mask for shop work when Iím putting lots of sawdust in the air. Sometimes I just where a simple N-95 mask, almost as good.

Then thereís my SundstrŲm full-face respirator, which has a single filter mount on which you can stack/piggyback multiple filters of various types. Of note, the SundstrŲm H05-6121L Wildland First Responder Respirator Kit is similar to mine although in a half mask design. This system comes with both an SR-232 OV/SD/CL/HC/HF (organic vapor, sulfur dioxide, chlorine, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride) Chemical Cartridge, the SR-510 P100 Particulate Filter and the SR-221 Pre-Filter which can be piggybacked. The Wildland First Responder Respirator Kit also has a Spark Arrester which I donít have.

I mention what I have not as an expert (which Iím not) on what is needed, but as a point of departure for discussion. Iíve never tested my system near a real wildfire. Iím confident it will help a lot as Iím driving away from the area, but if a wildfire is that close, I screwed up by waiting too long.

450 Views · 10 Comments
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale, rac
5267 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Getting through a cold night
by Montanero
10:12 PM
A new to me BOB concept
by Montanero
03:05 PM
Primative Firemaking
by hikermor
02:38 PM
Winter preps -- Time for the switch over
by adam2
01:05 PM
Respirators (& other breathing filtration)
by Russ
11/19/18 06:52 PM
Family Prep with difficult people
by Ors
11/18/18 11:26 PM
Stuff to pick up at your local thrift store
by Ors
11/18/18 06:19 AM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by Ors
11/18/18 06:09 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.