Basically, that's why I took the snare diagrams out of my cheat sheet. But I still have the wire in my kit, mostly becasue it can used for other things (like a bail handle for an an aluminum foil pot ).<br><br>I have never set a snare in my life (although I did manage to trap a few chipmonks once, but that's another story), but her's my take on survival snaring.<br><br>Knowledge of setting snares is not a function of how to tie the larkshead knot or how to carve a trigger out of a stick. It requires an true understanding of the prey you seek, where to find them and how to trap them.<br><br>For example, you won't find many rabbits in a mature stand of Sugar Maples or Oaks because the dense canopy prohibits growth of underbrush that rabbits use for food and shelter. You will find squirrel though. But that doesn't mean you'll be able to snare them. You still need to apply your knowledge of prey with the snaring skills with a good deal of practice. <br><br>We often preach on this forum that all survival skills, such as fire lighting, should be practiced before you find yourself in a survival situation. I would suggest snaring would be no different.<br><br>That being said, how would one go about "practicing" snaring? I know trappers get licenses, would the casual "trapper" need o do the same? (I would guess the answer is yes) And remember, that you should also dress and cook the meat.<br><br>If one doesn't have the knowedge and skill, then you should have the expectation of being able to trap food in a survival situation. Hence, you should stock your PSK in accordance to reality and perhaps place snare wire as a low priority if you need more room to make space for higher priority items, like water purification tablets or personal medications.