Thanks for the great responses. First, a few quick answers to help fill in the picture a bit:

1) I already carry a medium-sized toolbox in my trunk. It's loaded with electrician's, computer tech, carpenter, and datacomm tools. It's too large to carry into every single gig, and I'm tired of hearing some security screener saying half-jokingly, "hey, those screwdrivers can be used as weapons, and those cutters and scissors just aren't allowed."

Besides, 95% of the time, I only need a basic set of electrician and computer tech tools. Carrying the toolbox has proven to be overkill except for those rare situations where I need the highly-specialized tools or larger 3/8" drive socket wrenches.

2) Yes, absolutely, the bit driver is key. In fact, I don't really need pliers at all. In contrast to wilderness survival where pliers are an integral part to improvising a solution, what I'm facing here is more of an "hi-tech survival" situation. A great example is in ABC's "Lost" where Sayid takes apart the broken transceiver from the plane and repairs it. With a "repairman's multitool," working on survival electronics and small machinery would be much easier.

Another good example: technicians mainly need a US #1 Phillips rather than the widely-available US #2 Phillips heads. One of the reasons the Charge is much better than the other Leatherman multitools is that it actually includes a US #1 Phillips bit.

I agree that the problem with multitool bit drivers is that they have too short a "shaft." Leatherman ought to add about an inch to the length of their fold-out bit drivers on the Charge--I'm going to email them about that idea. It's basically the same concept as the Bit Dr. that I just ordered--the Bit Dr. takes it a bit further with an actual removable extension.

I actually like the flat bits. The reason I don't carry one of those ubiquitous screwdrivers with 1/4" hex bits inside the handle is because they're just too damned bulky. Besides, if you inspect one of the Charge's flat bits, you'll see that it is in fact a 1/4" hex bit! It just has its "sides" cut off.

3) Hey--I like that Versadriver! Thanks for the suggestion. "Mutilating" a multitool isn't really my goal--what I'd like is to drum up enough demand so that the multitool makers come up with a multitool for electronic devices--something that us technicians could carry daily and that aircraft/marinecraft and wilderness survival kits could also benefit from.

4) cfraser, you hit the nail on the head. I am indeed looking for a "bulgeless" (i.e., lightweight and compact enough to carry daily) solution. I started out by buying a nice Chapman Mfg. 8900 Kit that comes with a beautiful tiny little hex-bit ratchet and a two-part spinner that can receive a hex bit directly into the handle or use the included extension to make it look and act just like a regular screwdriver. This is definitely the most-used core of my current tool kit, and with a few additional security and specialized bits, this kit is the model for which I would like to see a folding, flat-bit multitool. With double-sided flat 1/4" hex bits and a folding handle, the bulky Chapman's functionality could be shrunk down into one-twentieth the size and perhaps one-fifth the weight! And the icing on the cake is that tossing such a tool into the x-ray machine tray won't draw as much attention as trying to carry in a toolbox!

-----

I've emailed Leatherman about the concept of a "repairman's multitool." For wilderness/aircraft/marinecraft survival kits, this would probably be a secondary multitool to accompany a primary, standard multitool like the Charge. One would use the "repairman's multitool" to repair higher-tech survival gear--we're not talking about rigging shelter but perhaps fixing something like a GPS receiver, aircraft console, or perhaps even a small motor like those found in a portable generator. Situations where finely-threaded screws that are usually hard-to-get-to and fine electrical wiring are common.

For now, I'd just be happy if they introduced a flat-bit extension, and I'll email them about that right now. That would make my Charge a much more functional bit driver.

Thanks again for all the replies!