Most of these legends have rational roots.
For example, just out of the top of my head:

1. What about snakes then? All those REI snake kits are complete trash with their suction caps? Poor Indians, they had no cellphones nor the helicopters...

4. Not every oil will help. The sea-buckthorn oil is the best heat/acid burns cure known for centuries in Russia. Far outperforming any over-the-counter synthetic stuff.

5. Raw Steak is the same thing as ice - for cooling. I doubt anybody thought of a hot steak for that. You'll get it from a freezer right? Your eye will swell while you'll be looking for ice, zip-lock, and towel and putting them together. The faster you get it cooled the better the results. I'm using a steel spoon quite effectively. And the bacteria story is some medieval fairy-tale.

6. I like peroxide! It seals the broken capillaries instantly. So no under skin bleeding occurs at all. And it definitely kills any germs faster than soap or any PG based ointment. Sure thing a small scratch doesn't even deserve such a treatment.

It's seems to me that above mentioned guide was cooked by a private clinic manager or a backyard hiker.

Edited by Alex (06/27/07 12:14 AM)