I actually think there is a lot to learn from Bear. He normally prefaces his more risky actions by saying you don't want to do this, but if you must, here is a good way to do it. It may cause some to take unnecessary risks, but I think it is a good way to show people like myself how to overcome a bad situation, that I would never willingly put myself into. Also in the first series, he seemed to be drawing on his survival/evasion skills, which would be different than the survival skills practiced by members of this forum.

In the newer series, the associated camera crew is obvious, as he often speaks directly to them. I think the newer series is more "honest," no floating down a river what I think was a hidden life vest, and I think the series is trying to teach more survival skills as we know them.

Again, I would not take the chances he takes willingly, but he is trying to use those "chances" to teach. (What I like most and keep seeming to miss are his shelter building scenes. That is where I learn most.)

Spud