Ok Here is the situation I have with my new home. I have no basement, and no means to dig a in ground shelter. The reasons are because of a pool in the backyard and pipes running under the ground everywhere.

So reading all the ki4u.com documents that the government put out on the constructing and planning of in home shelters. All the documents talk about finding the most inner room in the home (if no basement is available)

Well for me this is a small storage area in the exact middle of the home. Ok, now that I found a space, I need to figure out how to secure this area from any fallout that may happen.

Putting cinderblocks or concrete is not an option. So I had a wild idea.

I know the object is to create thickness between the walls. So I would think that the density of the thickness, the material that is in between the outside and us, is what matters.

So what are some thoughts on creating that barrier.

One wild idea I had was to get some of those lead aprons that are used in xray rooms. Those should protect pretty well while also not giving away a foot of thickness, like cinder blocks would.

Now I am am looking for a good compromise, I know concrete would be better, but I don't have that option as I will need to put 6 people in there (me, wife and 4 kids) and the space is not that big.

So any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin