Ok, let me describe what I came here looking for. It seems that everyone who has chimed in has been seeing people cominghere wondering what to do once the earth falls off it's axis and becomes the 2nd or 4th planet in the solar system.

Well I am always of the belief that "Only the Paranoid Survive" (great business book by Andrew Grove, one of the founders of Intel)

I lived in New York (20 miles from NYC) for 20 years, then Southern California for many years, then moved up to rural Utah for another 10, then back to the Palm Springs are of Southern California.

I lived through the 7 quake in the early 90's and it scared the crap out of me. Of course there were TONS of small ones in SC. There is not much to keep worring about there. If I do't want small quakes, I need to move smile

Well when I moved the Utah after I got married, the worries of earthquakes left my mind...until I learned that I lived 5 miles from the Wasatch Mountains...an active fault!!
The worries returned, not just for me, now I have a wife.

I am not a stranger to being prepared, at least with food storage. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a Mormon) so I have known that having a year of food storage is a good thing.

Now let me clarify something. I am a religious man, and so is all of my family, but I am also of the VERY true belief that the best set of helping hands God can give me are attached to the ends of my two wrists.

If God wants to save me from something, he will, but I cannot see him saying,

"Hey you were really stuck and you didn't do anything, or prepare at all, so here I am to help you!"

I think it is more like:

"Hey you did everything you could, and even more. You prepared, persevered, you failed a bit, and succeeded a bit,but you kept on trying. Now I will help you, when you have nothing left in you!"

So that is the last time I will mention religion, but I wanted to make that clear.

Anyway, so my concerns right now are earthquake situations.

We just bought a new house in the Cochella Valley. Two story. So I have obvious concerns about the second floor coming down on top of us. I don't know what I can reasonably do about that concern right now though. My evacuation plan for our home consists of utilizing the large entry way where the is a 25 foot ceiling, so there is not second floor about that area, just the roof.

My brother in law is in construction in the desert area for the past 25 years, and he says that they build them up to much better specs then they use to. He believes that we should be able to live through a 8 without any really big damage to the home, but who knows.

About my concerns that I mentioned in the realm of Jericho.

Do I think it could happen, YES. Do I think certain people in the US Government are going to be behind it, who the heck knows.

Do I think terrorists are actively planning on hurting all of us, YES.

With a nuclear or chemical weapon, YES.

That is their goal, to destroy America, and Americans.

I am not going to get into politics, but I think it is pretty obvious that is their goal.

Anyway. I am equally concerned about natural disasters as I am terrorists.

So I just figure I will prepare as best I can or both.

I have looked into getting land somewhere and digging a big hole and building a large self contained shelter. I actually still have plans for that. It just has to all come in time.
The bank has not approved my 10 million dollar loan yet smile

I think in another thread I will post my current inventory and thoughts on what else I need, and get advise from there.

BTW there are now 3 1/2 children added to the family (she is 4 months pregnant) so the paranoia jumped 1 million fold!

But I am also a realest.....I have to admit spending $3000 on food storage is VERY HARD when I see that my 55 inch Plasma TV just went on sale for $3195 at Best Buy! smile

So that is where I am coming from...just wanted to make that clear smile

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin