My experience in China is somewhat dated (a month long trip nine years ago in a southern province), but here goes...<br><br>Just where are you going? There are huge differences between Beijing and the provinces, large cities vs. rural, etc. We visited a very pleasant village and were told that we were the first Euro types in the region since WWII. Big cities are quite different.<br><br>Water purification is quite interesting. At least then, potable water was prepared by boiling and retained in large vacuum bottles - this was true even in Hong Kong in a western style hotel. My experience on this trip is one reason I am such a fan of boiling water as a means of purification. We were a group of twelve, in country for a month, and no cases of intestinal upset. For one four day stay our water supply was an open irrigation ditch. I wouldn't count on Potable Aqua and other wussy modalities to stand up to the stuff you will find there.<br><br>I recall fairly cold temperatures (We were there in March). Heating was coal stoves and it was better to wear warm clothing than suffer the pollution put out by the stoves. <br><br>Overall, great place, great people. Learn some basic phrases (remember, language difference between north and south), be as cautious as you would be traveling anywhere, and enjoy the area and the experience. You certainly have the best of reasons for making the trip.<br><br>Oh yes, at least in the rural areas (then) toilet paper was a nonexistant luxury. Probably not so now in urbanized areas now. I would still pack a roll or two, but that is a standard travel precaution.