Hmm, the Ren wax seems too expensive, and the oil and saran wrap too much hassle. I will stick with either the tuf cloth or possible the Armadillo from Blue Wonder, try this link:

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

If you are gonna use a wax, this would be my recommendation. However, I switched to the tuf cloth because it is inexpensive, durable, and the easiest thing to use on gun/knife metal I have found. No sprays, no applicators, no residue. Just wipe the cloth on the metal, let it set for a minute, then put it away. Plus it is lightweight and very portable. I also don't worry about having to remove it before I use my knife for anything, inlcuding preparing food.

Rem Oil, Ballistol, Break free, Bore Butter, I suppose each can be adapted to work similarly, but none of them have ever seemed to be as effective, and I've tried them all. Heck, I've even seasoned carbon steel blades with lard using heat to volatize the fat and deposit a carbon coating with some success. You might be surprised at just how effective that last method is. Hey, if it will work for cast iron pots, then why not for carbon steel knives and gun barrels?