After my recent annoying experience with NYPD* while walking home after work I decided to change my EDC knife from Buck Strider folder to Spyderco Salt I. I know they sell fully serrated version which would be better for it's real purpose (sailing/rope cutting) but for all around knife I chose plain edge.

I figured it will serve couple of purposes:
1) Handle is yellow so higly visible and if clipped to the pocket it's not concealment just a tool. Plus thinking of slapping a Pooh or Tigger sticker on it smile
2) Not rusting so perfect for kayaking since I hate having multiple blades. I'm a firm beliver to use what you have becasue that's how you get better in handling that particular tool.
3) Smaller blade meaning better fit in the pocket.

All of the above is true about the knife. It is small, has a reversable clip, handles are "harsh" so it will stay in your hand, blade has a wide surface area in order to accomodate thumb hole on small blade, lanyard hole and pretty sturdy lock. How rust proof it is I will know after the season.

Few things:
I wish yellow was more yellow. It is kind of wash out yellow not a deep life jacket yellow but it still stands out. Comming from bigger folders both for work and EDC this knife is little too thin for my taste. I don't have big hands and when I got it I felt like I'm holding a toothpick. This may be my biggest problem with it but only time will show. Also this is one of the first knives I ever owned without a liner lock. I had a small accident with Buck knife that had a back lock and it almost costed me my pinky.

I like the knife a lot. I think that it will fit the purpose. As a matter of fact I like it so much I'm thinking of buying one more and ditching the Buck/Strider all together. It will fit perfect on my vest right on top of the trauma plate pocket. I think the size of the blade is perfect and I only used the 4 inch blades until now and going to 3 inches was weird.

*I was "detained" while going home after work @ 1 am becasue I had a folder clipped to my pocket. I missed the train, got home 2 hrs late just to have to wake up in 2 more hours to go back to work. PD appologized after seeing my ID/shield and it was very civil but it was just annoying and time consuming since the officer first involved didn't have much time on the job and some things were happening little too fast for him.