I've been experimenting trying to create a home made dry replacement tinder for the cotton balls, coleman white gas and used shoe polish tin tinder. So far the specification I am looking for would go along the following lines,

1) The tinder once ignited should burn for more than 2 minutes with a substantial flame.
2) The tinder should be reasonably waterproof before being used.
3) The tinder should ignite from from the sparks produced by a Swedish firesteel or even a flint and steel.
4) The tinder should ignite using a frensel lens.
5) The tinder once exposed should have an indefinite life time unlike the wetfire tinder.
6) The tinder should be of a similar size to Tinder Quick.

The ingredients so far include Char Cloth, Cotton wool, candle wax and powdered hexamine. This is how I have proceeded.

Crush the Hexamine tablet to a fine powder. Spread the powder onto a warmed metal copper plate and poor melted candle wax on the plate and powdered hexamine to just cover the hexamine powder. Partially dip small strips of Char cloth in to the melted wax and hexamine leaving a portion of the char cloth dry. Some of the hexamine will adhere to the char cloth with the melted wax acting as a binder. Wrap a cotton wool ball around the dipped char cloth strip. The cotton wool will adhere partially to the waxy hexamine char cloth strip. Once the wax has hardened inside the cotton ball together with the char cotton hexamine impregnated strip inside it can then be used a tinder. Store in a small polybag.

Any other ideas for tinder?