As I said, something looks screwy with his return trip and I hope they have that border agent is out of a job. People dropped the ball.

As for telling the Italians, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they hadn't, but I can think of good reasons not to. Not the least of which is they didn't know where he was. Going down the list, if it is an official government to government request, things sometimes spiral out of control and lots of people get quarantined; if he voluntarily turns himself in, maybe no one other than his blushing bride joins him.

As for a deportation, that means that the various foreign ministries get involved. Paperwork galore, people who don't need to be quarantined are, it gets political. After you find him, in a country with free internal movement and open borders with it's neighbors. Not as easy as it sounds, even if you can get a track on credit cards.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.