Last fall I cut into small pieces and peeled a whole large pumpkin. It's a real test for your knife and particularly the handle. I didn't cut myself, luckily but I did end up with nasty blisters on the hand. That's why I'm looking at the traditional Mora knife with the oval wooden handle with consideration and acknowledge that a guard does get in the way.

I don't have much experience in the bush. I got myself Mors Kochanski's DVDs and watched Blades Sharpening & Safe Use. He has like 30 years of experience as a survival instructor and has good tips about the safe use of knives, axes and saws. He carries his knife around his neck, something he learned from the inuits. With all the bulky clothing needed for the cold winters in Canada, it's just more convenient to carry it around the neck. Cody Lundin also carries his around his neck because generally you're much aware of its presence and it's easier to put it back in its sheath this way.

I'm a city boy I must confess, who dreams of adventure as a hobby. As far as urban EDC goes, I played a lot with my new Spyderco Delica and managed to cut myself also. It's unavoidable. Especially when I first attempted to fold it back one handed by giving it a swing and stopping it with the index finger because I think the blade "wastage" at the heel is there for that reason. I got the hang of it now.

Frankie