Firefly, you seem quite concerned with bleach, so let me just address that. First, as far as health effects, people have been drinking chlorinated municipal water every day for the past 100 years, so I think it's safe to say that there's ample evidence that you can drink it long term. Chlorination can produce small quantities of carcinogenic compounds, but the risk from this is miniscule compared to the disease and deaths we can prevent by having clean drinking water. For emergency water, the bleach wouldn't even cross my mind.

Liquid bleach is very easy to measure, so I don't think there's much reason to fear incorrect dosing. Besides, if you're starting with clean tap water, adding bleach to the water is more of a back up measure and probably isn't necessary in 99.9% of the cases. If you add too little, then no harm done. Even if you add too much, the bleach breaks down over time so by the time you tried to use it, it would likely be down to harmless levels. Besides, if there is ever too much bleach in the water, your nose will tell you before you ever take the first sip. You'll smell it. In that case, just let the open container sit for a while and the excess will evaporate.

I have had year-old water that I stored. Tastes flat, no chlorine smell left. I wouldn't hesitate to drink year-old water straight from the container that I had stored myself. In a true emergency, where getting sick could be a big problem, I would probably boil or treat the stored water again before drinking it, just to be safe. I mean, the risk of getting sick is super low, but the consequences under emergency conditions could be quite high, so better to err on the side of caution in that case.