Like the rest of people, I would not consume anything that is past the expiry date. Normally, I will just dispose off the expired items.

Is it safe to consume food/water that has expired ?
Why people hesitate to consume expired stuff ?
Does the water in storage expire after sometime ?

From browsing survival preparedness websites, I am getting the impression that if people stored water for a pre defined period, then they will dispose the stored water at the end of the period and replaced it with fresh treated water.

I do have a mental block about the bleach. Is there any health risk drinking bleach treated water on a prolong basis, example after an incident such as Katrina.

raydarkhorse,
You are right, water has been around since beinning of time on this planet. Nature has the resources to store, filter & purify water.

My concern is the water stored by people like us within our home may be subjected to incorrect dosage of bleach, too little or too much, water container not properly sealed, etc. Besides, the water in storage is dead, it is not flowing anywhere. Unlike in nature, where it may flow past layers of filtering materials or go through the evaporation / rain cycle.

So, I am asking do you actually drink the water that you stored.

What do you think ?

Edited by firefly99 (05/28/07 01:11 AM)