I did an "experiment" about the aluminium + iodine issue yesterday. I put experiment in quotations because I don't claim to have any scientific training or expertise and the simple minded nature of the "experiment" will be demonstrated by the description below. Kids, don't try this at home.<br><br>I used two of the anodized aluminium capsules by Bison Designs that I bought at REI. <br><br>Iodine tablet + drop of water in open container+ 1 minute= nothing except gooey tablet<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water in open container + 15 min = gooey tablet<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water in closed container + 15 min = gooey tablet<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water in closed container shaken violently for 1 min = more gooey tablet<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water + aluminium and anodized shavings that I scraped off outside of container in open container + 1 minute = gooey shavings<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water + aluminium and anodized shavings that I scraped off outside of container in closed container + 1 minute = gooey shavings<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water + aluminium and anodized shavings that I scraped off outside of container in closed container + 15 minute = gooey shavings<br><br>iodine tablet + drop of water + aluminium and anodized shavings that I scraped off outside of container in closed container + 15 minute + shaken violently for 1 minute = well mixed gooey shavings<br><br>10 iodine tablets + capsule filled with water and sealed + shaken violently for 1 minute = dissolved green goo<br><br>10 iodine tablets + capsule filled with water and sealed + shaken violently for 1 minute + 15 minutes = dissolved green goo.<br><br>No explosions, flares or fireworks to report.<br><br>Girlfriend was a little concerned, though. Word "obsessed" was used.

Edited by myoptiks (10/04/02 05:38 PM)