Quote:
1889 A captain runs his ship - REPUBLIC - aground in New York
1890 Same captain runs the - COPTIC - aground in Rio De Janeiro
1909 Same captain runs the - ADRIATIC - aground outside New York
1911 1st voyage of RMS OLYMPIC - same captain collides with and almost sinks - O.L. HALLENBECK - in Manhattan
Sep 1911 Same captain aboard - OLYMPIC - collides with HMS HAWKE sigificantly damaging both ships
Feb 1912 Same captain aboard - OLYMPIC - knocks off one of her propellers on a well known wreck in the Grand Banks

The captain is none other than Captain E. J. Smith, buried aboard his last command - RMS TITANIC

If you don't mind my asking, what is the source for this information? The reason I ask is that your post hints that Smith was at fault in all of these incidents but upon closer inspection it doesn't actually say that. I would like to know the full details of each before passing judgement. For example, the times when he ran his ship aground, was he forced to do so to avoid a collision? When his ship did collide with another how do we know that one or more of the other captains were not at fault? Were any of these incidents the result of mechanical failure? If I remember right, never before had there been any ships that even approached the size of Olympic and Titanic. There was bound to be some sort of learning curve with vessels that big, at least when trying to maneuver around a tight harbor. In that respect Smith was a guinea pig of sorts.

Of course none of this detracts from your main point: complacency kills. And by 1912 it definately appears that Smith had lost his edge.