Quote:
The more I think about this thread, the more of a Blair Witch vibe I get.

Funny, that was my first thought, too. Though it was just a movie it actually demonstrated very well how the average urban dweller tends to react when caught by something unexpected outdoors. Face it, most people today are totally unused to the wilderness. Lack of any outdoor skills, false confidence in their own abilities, fear of the unknown, it all adds up so quickly. If you look at the Blair Witch Project the situation was pretty much bizzare. There was not even any situation to speak of, nothing directly hostile in the environment. Those kids were not facing any serious challenges nor were their lives ever in danger. Yet they were defeated by their own imagination and eventually took entirely pointless steps that could have resulted in a tragedy. It took just one person to break down mentally and the entire group collapsed.

Not to rant too much but just one more point. I find it interesting how people with little outdoor experience fail to make a proper list of priorities. Food is always on top. So everyone assumes bringing a rifle will do the trick. Unfortunately, nobody seems to think ahead. It takes skill (and lots of time) to hunt successfully. Takes more skill to skin an animal and prepare the meat. Ray Mears does it with a sharp flint on TV though, sure looks easy. Then of course dragging the carcass to the camp sounds like a terrific idea, only it's going to invite predators from all over (but that's so easy to forget). So you might well wake up in the middle of the night with a bear or cougar having a feast by your side (hope it won't pick you for dessert). Sad to see common sense so lacking these days. PPPPPP... smile