You have one of the greatest Survival/Primitive Schools in the US right in New Jersey, one that I would recommend wholeheartedly. It's Tom Brown Jr's Tracker School.

Thus far I've only been able to take the Standard Class, but I will be taking many more courses there as time goes on and as finances allow. It's a pricey endeavor, but without a doubt the best money I've ever spent in my life. I learned more in that week than I had over many years with a multitude of other resources. The tracking portion of the course alone was enough to blow my mind.

I look at the world in a completely different way now, not only with tracking in mind but with many of the other things I learned there as well.

One of the biggest reasons for this camping trip is that several of us who had gone to Tracker School previously couldn't work out going this year and will have to settle on practicing the skills we learned while there, on our own, and until such a time as we can get back. We're also going to throw a couple of new skills into the mix to see how we do.

You should also look for other Survival/Primitive Skills groups in your area. I've gone to and hooked up with a number of groups in my region, and have taken classes with them as well. If you find one of these groups, you'll meet people there that will love going on these types of trips!