Well, if the first weapon I had to challenge the intruder with was my loaded and cocked red ryder bb gun, I would probably shoot him and then start bashing his head in with the thing. I doubt the shot would do much but get his attention, but the bb gun would be lethal force thereafter, along with my size 12, assuming he isn't able to defend himself.

Fortunately, I don't worry about being inadequately armed in my own home against such invaders. Oh yeah, and the invader will be shown to have been lethally armed by the time the cops show up, whether he was at the time of entry or not.

Don't come into my house uninvited, unless it is on fire and you are trying to help save me.

Bentirran, there is no logical argument you can make that is going to justify to this crowd the outcome of this incident. This is one fundamental American concept that pretty much everyone here agrees on. Home invasion is just something we will never tolerate.