I know the area that you are in (former VTS Sector Operator).

Taking a small boat from the Gowanus Canal to your sailboat may be very feasible. IF that option becomes unfeasible, try to plot a path away from the "normal escape routes/chokepoints" in order to get to your boat. You might have to head East before you can turn south and start working your way to the dock where your boat is.

During the garbage strike of 1980-81, vessels on the East River were attacked from the bridges and from both shores. Vessels in the Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill were attacked from the shores near the bridges. No attacks were made on vessels that were on the Hudson River, Upper or Lower New York Harbors, or Raritan Bay. Vessels were attacked off of Coney Island by JFK. Keep in mind that these actions were conducted by Union types against "Scab" boats.

Not quite the situation that you are now looking at, based on the latest intel I am looking at (with my interpretations/opinions of what those reports reflect).

Where are you going to sail to in order to Bug-Out? Poughkeepsie and New Paltz are nice areas!