Originally Posted By: Eugene
I looked at those for a minute and everything I read about them said they sucked no matter how good of antenna. I ended up with an old fashioned Cobra 25. It has the Wx channels too and will tone out (loudly) when a Wx alert is issued. Works well for on the farm and camping I can hear the tone when outside the truck even with the windows rolled up.

I agree that they are probably not the best option, but the one saving grace of that cobra is that they take up almost no space in the car.

You said "truck," so you are lucky that you probably have enough space to mount stuff like that. Where I live, Subaru's are popular (especially the Outback and Forrester). Those things do not have ANY place to put any sort of radio where it won't be banging into your legs. Fortunately I have a 93 Lumina, so I have space to mount some stuff. But my 2M rig comes first, and the CB was thrown in as a backup. So, I got the smallest CB that I could find.

At least with amateur radio gear, you have lots and lots of radios with remote-head attaching. This means that most of the radio can ride in the trunk or under a seat, and only a small control panel mounts on the dash. CB radio makers still have to learn this trick.