I made some about three weeks ago. I got a new quart paint can with lid from Lowes. I punched a hole in the lid with a nail.<br><br>I bought some heavy 100% cotton ticking (blue and white striped cloth used for making beds and pillows) and cut and ripped into about 2" squares. I put the cloth squares in the can and pounded the lid shut.<br><br>I put the can on the side burner of my outdoor grill and set the burner on low. Within a few minutes, smoke was pouring out of the nail hole. When it stops smoking, the cloth is sufficently charred. <br><br>Let the can and contents cool completely before you open. You have heated all the cloth to the point where it will burst into flame if it gets any oxygen. If you were to open the can before it all cools, all your char will burn. The cloth is now ready to catch sparks. Keep it dry.<br><br>I guess you could use an old coffee can if you can make a lid that is basically air tight from something not flammable, like maybe tin foil? Too much air and you will make fire, not char cloth.<br><br>