As far as I’m concerned, EMP is pretty simple to deal with. Simply line whatever containers you use to store your emergency gear with some copper mesh fabric and make sure your gear is insulated from the mesh. Normal copper mesh has been shown to have a very high attenuation rate (~108 dB) in the frequencies that EMPs put most of their energy (3 Hz — 30 kHz) and an acceptable attenuation even at the higher frequencies. (Keep in mind that attenuation is measured in dB, which is a logarithmic scale, i.e. 10 dB attenuation cuts the signal to 1/10th power, 20 dB to 1/100th, 30 dB to 1/1,000th, …, 100 dB to 1/10,000,000,000th. 108 dB attenuation is around 1/68-billionth, or 0.00000000000016%, of its original power.)

The way I figure it, using a Faraday cage container isn’t too difficult to put together, and should keep your equipment pretty safe from EMP, solar CME, and whatever other EMF transients may happen. And the bottom line… if the stuff in the container still fries, it was pretty much toast anyway. But, that only applies to the stuff you can keep in a container. All the other stuff, the best you can do is hope.