When I'm traveling at night through country, I tend to find a truck that is going my speed, and follow it at a safe distance. It isn't likely that any animal will try to get between me and the truck, so I figure the truck can handle it. It's better than having a deer come through the windshield.

Snoman, I've seen people do some of the craziest stunts ever, right in front of a big semi. On a long straight stretch in CO, I'm following a big truck, and watch a small red pickup pull out RIGHT IN FRONT of of the truck, from a dead stop, from the open desert, not a ramp or a side road or anything. If the road hadn't been completely open (2 lanes each way), and if the truck driver hadn't been as experienced as he was (obviously), there would have been either a large red splat on the asphalt, or a semi rolling over in front of me, or both.

The kicker: there were only four of us in sight: the red pickup, the semi, me (and the dog), and the State Patrol or Sheriff's deputy that was behind me. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh