Originally Posted By: AROTC
I just don't see EMPs as being a major concern when it comes to preparing for emergencies.

I would agree that I don't give EMP any thought in terms of my personal preparedness. There's really not that much we can do in addition to the usual preparations that I would consider very practical. Wrap my electronics stuff in aluminum foil? Well, I'm not convinced that would help. Build a Faraday cage inside my house? Well, maybe during the height of the Cold War, but doesn't seem to make as much sense now.

However, and this is a huge "if"...if we ever had a situation like a high-altitude nuclear burst over the continental US, that is going to drastically affect most/all of us for quite a while. Just think about EMP's effect on the electrical grid of this country. Imagine no electricity for weeks during the summer heat. It didn't really seem to get that much coverage in the US, but 52,000 people died in the European heat wave of 2003. That makes Katrina's death toll look puny in comparison.

It's interesting that there seems to be more posts about EMP lately on this forum compared to a year ago. I don't watch the TV show Jericho so I'm not sure EMP was a big issue on that show, but I wonder if that's sparking this increased interest lately?