Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
Even if you don't buy a specialized rescue tool, or seatbelt cutter, and you don't EDC a knife, you could have a small partially-serrated folder clipped to the side of your seat, or in the center console that would make quick work of a seatbelt. I have one there for just that purpose, it's not my favorite, but, it'll do the job. For the faint of heart, some EMT cutters would probably do the trick too, and are handy if you need to cut a penny in half to make change at the tollbooth...

I've heard from several people that the forces and torques on a car can be pretty incredible in an accident. The rule I've heard is that don't assume anything not tied down will still be there. Applying that to the folder clipped to the side of the seat, I think in a serious accident there's a very good chance it will come flying out (possibly opened?). I've heard the same thing about the glove box -- expect it to fly open and everything to spill out. I think this kind of approach -- clipped to seat, sitting in glove compartment -- is great for more minor stuff, but don't rely on being able to find it in a more serious accident or a rollover.

Cable-tied to the seatbelt seems like a good solution, though aesthetically I'm not sure I can live with it! I don't have any good solutions other than making sure you have a knife or Res-Q-Me in your pocket, where you know it'll stay. Just thought I'd pass along the advice about "everything that's not nailed down will fly around" that I've heard.