Unless you are going to take the time to have a CB tricked out by some one who knows how to set the antenna (requires a meter) to the CB in use, the range for most CB's are line of visual sight (usually less) at best. Todays CB are garbage and are nothing like what was made in the 1970 & 80's. My family have been truck drivers since the late 60's. The only CB's we use are those in the semi trucks and that are properly set up and have power boosters.

If your traveling in a group together, FRS radios are the way to go. Stick with Motorola brand. From my personal experience they work much better than any other brand. If you get seperated make a quick call on a cell phone to the other parties to get back together.
We use FRS radios to stay in touch all the time when hunting. Even when I bow hunt I take a radio with me and leave one home with my wife turned on in the kitchen. My furthest stand is just hitting 2 miles away from my house per GPS tracking. I have it with me "just in case". I also let her know when I am down and walking out so she knows Im on my way out of the woods.

In a nut shell, the CB off the shelf is no way any better than an FRS radio. I sold my last CB about 3 years ago and dont regret it a bit.

Huck