All very good advice!

But this is what I don't get ... even if concealed-carry had been permitted on the VT campus, how many of us truly believe that college kids -- even the grad students -- would have bothered bringing a handgun to 8 AM or 9 AM classes on a Monday morning about 2 weeks before the end of spring semester classes? I've had this argument with my brother, and he kept saying that even if the students hadn't brought firearms with them to class, they could have run out to their dorm rooms to retrieve them. Well, no -- Cho had chained/padlocked the doors to Norris Hall, presumably to keep LEOs out and keep targets in.

Personally, I'm in favor of regulating firearms possession and use at least as stringently as we regulate the right to drive legally -- basic "how to" classes, a test (written and actual/physical), mandatory insurance, etc. -- and that's a minimum threshold, since cars/trucks have a lot of uses other than injuring people/animals. But I've also submitted an affidavit in support of my brother's recent application for a handgun permit in Manhattan, because I feel comfortable with his training and temperament ... though since we're Korean-Americans, I'm thinking his permit application is going to get a lot of extra scrutiny now.

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein