When you read that park rangers wear pantyhose under layers to stop ticks (protection against Lymes Disease) did it indicate what kind of material the pantyhose were made from. Were they made from Nylon or Silk. This disease can have very serious medical consequences for those who then develop chronic Lymes disease.

Because ticks are non flying insects unlike mosquitoes and midges I think that the park rangers were using the pantyhose layer as a fabric barrier against the ticks to protect the lower body. In areas where there might be ticks a similar form of protection would be to wear full length trousers made from a very tight weave cotton called Ventile and then use a very old fashioned ankle protection called puttees. Ankle Gaiters can also be used but would probably be not as effective.

I don't think that wearing pantyhose cut offs on the arms would give similar protection against mosquitoes and other flying biting insects. Again I would use a Ventile shirt with full length arms, headnet etc and the most appropriate insect repellent. I find the natural tea tree oil or citronella based repellents work quite well rather than Deet based repellents, which give you brain damage.

Edited by bentirran (04/22/07 03:25 PM)