Originally Posted By: Brangdon
[quote=hamilton]
The imitation coin-cell Photons cost under a dollar now. Mechanically they are fine, but they are bright because they are over-driven, and I've had the LED in one fail. Even so, they are small enough and cheap enough that I would think it foolish to go with nothing at all if one is available. Better to carry two.

Maybe I care more about light because I live and work in an urban environment. It's less important outdoors. However, light is one of the things for which there is no substitute. If you have to perform any kind of first aid, for example, I wouldn't want to be doing it in the dark.

You're right. I've just had really bad experiences with cheap flashlights. I've bought a number of them and used ones others have bought, and now I find it hard to justify wasting my money on these things. They always seem to break, die, or not put out enough light to see by shortly after being purchased. I just really dislike the idea of buying something that won't do what I bought it for.

On that same note, I don't think it's necessary to spend an exhorbitant amount of money on a flashlight either. My brother bought me a an $8 aluminum penlight from energiser that I EDC and have been very happy with.