Actually, all of that last is federally based, and most states have added the latter.

But I would be very careful about saying any kind of mental illness should block you from ever being allowed to carry. Most of us here would probably get diagnosed as having "general anxiety disorder" because we worry more than a sheep does. Either that or a martyr complex.

And a great many memebers of the armed forces are returning with cases of PTSD that could be completely correctable with talk and group therapy, no need for drugs- these are the guys who don't like crowds, swerve to avoid litter on the roadside (might be an IED) and take cover when car's backfire. They are as harmless and beneficial to society as we are, and need our help before they get worse while waiting for the VA to get off it's collective backside.

I would, will, and do say that those who's diagnosis makes them a danger to others should be blocked, absolutely, and I want to know why this nut's mental health history wasn't passed up the line. Someone needs to be publicly canned and any and all professional credentials suspended.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.