Originally Posted By: billym
Sure you could wrap it a few more times but you will still have problems holding onto the 550 once it is weighted.
The thinnest line I have rappelled was 7mm and it was scetchy.
Why not go try it right now? I bet you will find it virtually impossible.

I just took your advice and tried it. Muntner hitch over a medium/large pear biner plus about 6 wraps around the verticle part of the biner. Works ok.

But I wouldn't bet my life on it unless on fire or under fire.

Originally Posted By: billym

Not good. Ever heard of a backup?

Since you didn't ask I'll tell you anyway. I always thought if there was one thing I'd never do it would be to go off the end of the rope. I always kept track of where the rope was and tied a knot in the end. I was very safe.

One time I was rappelling from the same place with the same rope and the same huge tree as an anchor that I'd done several times before. People were climbing below, so instead of tossing the rope down, I left it flaked in a bag clipped to my harness and let it feed out of that as I went down. About 10 feet from the ground - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZip - THUD! Hmmm... I'm still alive. What happened?

Turns out that before I had used a sling around the tree and tied the rope to that, but this time I took several wraps around the tree with the rope itself. That was enough to use up those critical few feet of rope. Dumb.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."