Originally Posted By: bmisf

Common sense, reasonable controls. Personally, I believe in "shooter licenses" that require demonstration of skills, knowledge, and stability (much like a pilot's license).

Well, while we are at it why not extend that to the rest of the Bill of Rights? How about requiring a license to vote? Judging by the results of recent elections we can make a pretty good case for that. How about requiring a person to have a government permit before they can write a letter to the editor? Here's one: let's require anyone who wishes to express an opinion on ETS to at least have a college degree! After all, I have one so it sounds pretty "reasonable" to me. Let's allow the cops to beat confessions out of suspects too. Statistics prove that most of them are guilty anyway, right?

No. The Bill of Rights--including the 2nd Amendment--is there for a reason. A free society is always going to have some individuals in it who abuse that freedom. That is just the price we pay to live in it. But decent, law abiding, responsible, and sane people are still the majority in this country. Placing restrictions on their liberties will do absolutely zero to deter the criminal element.