I think people should remember that such terrible events as this are big news because they happen so infrequently.

To put this in perspective, I took a look at the 2005 US traffic fatality statistics. The total deaths of people from ages 5 to 24 were 12,079. Now here’s the ironic part. Divide by 365 days per year and the average number of deaths of school age children per day was… 33.

That’s 33 kids per day, every day, for a year. I don’t know how much it would cost to put bullet resistant desks and doors in every class room on the off chance that an insane mass murderer happens to wander in, but I think it might be better spent on making the roads safer.

Likewise, trying to eliminate certain weapons will not “solve the problem” of homicidal maniacs. A gallon of gasoline dumped in each stairwell could probably have killed more people. It doesn’t take an evil mastermind to come up with all kinds of ways to kill lots of people if you’re not picky about the consequences.

The world is imperfect. Get used to it. Not all tragedies can be prevented. That's why they are tragedies. People still think they can be God and eliminate all imperfection, not realizing that wanting to be like God was the temptation that started ALL our problems.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."