Originally Posted By: AROTC
[quote]people forget that the students there are not children.

I agree with the principle that students who are emotionally and mentally mature can and should be entrusted on campus with the same rights they would have off campus. I went to a school where security was the advisors to a very active gun club that maintained its own ranges and had secure storage on campus, and where people who weren't idiots could carry a small-to-medium fixed blade on their belts without too many people whining. I had a Ka-bar in my desk, and my K-22 in the safe in security for a while.

But I also see the other point. I got my degree last spring, and I will say for the record, that I would not trust most of the people in the dorms I was in with an unloaded baseball bat. Too much booze, too much drugs, and way too little concept of adult responsibilities in those kids. I was in the "adult" dorm, and parties unknown decided it would be fun to kick in a 10 foot long length of sheetrock one night. And the random profanities and homophobia scribbled on doors and walls, and the flushing of full rolls of TP.... The list could go on, but keep in mind that it was the dorm reserved for only those over 21. They showed by their actions they were not ready to be trusted to act like civilized members of society, even though they were "adults". They choose to act like children, they get treated like children.

I wouldn't have a problem with commuters who (legally) carry concealed carrying on campus, but it MUST be concealed and in its holster at all times. Heck, if I could have been cleared to carry on campus by being a commuter, I would have swallowed the obscenely inflated rental prices and done so. If there was a special floor set aside in the adult dorm for those of us who really were adults, I'd have been fine with it. But there are too many problems with them in any dorm I've ever been in, and for the same reasons why soldiers aren't allowed to have their privately owned sidearms with them in barracks. I do not doubt their effectiveness as a deterrent in a general and open population, but for this particular, closed population....

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.