I think arotc has the best list so far. A bic lighter or two, several one liter water bottles, and some some extra lage garbage bags leapt to my head quickly. I like the idea of the enamel cup, cheap fleece blanket, and hot cocoa. I'd also like to include a box of cookies, some fruit or other snack. All of this would keep us relatively warm, dry, and happy, which I feel are probably the most important aspects to survival. The only thing I'd really like to add, but would probably put the cost above 25$ is a small first aid kit.

Personally, I don't think a flashlight or knife is essential gear on a dayhike. While I like to always keep a knife on me, I think that one could go and survive even a possible overnighter without it. As for the flashlight, while it's very nice to have, I think anything cheap enough to stay under budget probably wouldn't be worth much. Cheap flashlights break even when one doesn't need them. The only potential use I could see would be looking for firewood at night, which I would try to avoid doing anyways. I wouldn't trust one to provide enough light to safely walk through the woods at night. Better to just wait the night out by the fire, sipping cocoa.

I find it interesting that a number of people seem to have the impression that if if the person is coming without anything, that they are not interested in being prepared. Personally, I can think of a number of situations where a person could be left without gear and would have to make up a daypack on the spot. It's happened to me before, where I've flown out to visit someone, my luggage has been lost, and I've been left with nothing but my computer and the cash in my wallet.