Originally Posted By: Eugene

Fuel capacity is another issue. Smaller cars and SUV's have smaller gas tanks so even if you can get better milage you don't have as much range. Then sitting in traffic the small cars don't get very good milage either.

I beg to differ. My girlfriend can get from the north end of Missouri just about to her parent's house halfway into Wisconsin, on one tank. That's around 480 miles, according to Mapquest. My explorer gets, probably, 350 miles. So, at least with our 2 cars, hers gets by far better mileage. And, even if it is a smaller tank, that just makes it easier/faster to top off if a gas station is found. No killing 10 minutes topping off a gas guzzler and letting more traffic pass through.

As for city driving, she refills probably once a month around here; I'm lucky if I go 2 weeks (my car drops to just over 200 miles on a tank).

If I was to evac and stay on roads, her car would be the way to go. I don't worry much about inclement weather on pavement, since apparently 4wd doesnt' work that well on ice. Besides, she's a Wisconsin girl, and I'm a California boy: I can't drive that great on anything but dry pavement anyway! eek