Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
For drinking water, we planned for two gallons per individual per day for 30 days.

That works out for us to be six - 55 gallon drums and the remaining 5 gallons per individual is stored as cases of individual-sized water bottles. The bottled water is stored in our pantry and our vehicles.

We also have three rain gutter barrels, a large hot tub, and a 100 gallon water tank in our RV for other water needs.

We have a septic system, and we have an ice-fishing tent that serves as an temporary outhouse to minimize water use with flushing during a water emergency.

If water problems persist longer than 30 days and we can't leave, we also have a stream that flows through our property year round. We just purchased equipment from Katadyn for filtering water from this source.

Sounds like a great plan. I like your storage plan as well as the collection and treatment ideas. Since you are presently using a septic system, you might be interested in this document from the Texas Cooperative Extension website for disaster recovery http://texashelp.tamu.edu/001a-hot-topics/web-2005-sept/wastewater-systems-blackouts-floods.php