I've been thinking about this idea a lot lately. I just recently upgraded my cell phone to a PDA/Phone combo. The great thing is that since I no longer use my old stand alone PDA I am now converting it into a pure survival tool. I am using Microsoft Word and Excel files to store information that I will need to refer to in a survival situation. I have also been trying to collect other important information and storing it as well as PDF files after I scan the documents.

As for as power goes I have a number of options to keep it working. I can charge it using a vehicle cigarette lighter, a standard plug and best of all I have a seperate battery charger for it that will charge the PDA using AA batteries in the charger. By using my solar powered battery charger to recharge the AAs and then the AAs to charge the PDA I should be able to keep it going and have access to all of my info. I also have hard copy print outs of the info in a 3 ring binder stored at an off-site location where I store other supplies.