Re Garland

Quote:
I had no idea rhubarb leaves contained a poison. But then again, I don't go making rhubarb because I heard it tastes awful. Live and learn. Not to derail my own thread but does boiling the leaves destroy the poison?

I'm afraid that boiling the leaves does not destroy the poison as the oxalic acid does not break down easily.

Starvation is a complex issue. If a couple of 4 oz Tallow candles can be consumed and the body can absorb that available energy, which would equate to approx 1200 calories, then death from starvation would be delayed by a couple of days. That couple of days might allow someone who is suffering from starvation enough time and energy to locate and procure additional food resources before rescue. Some of the alternatives to death by starvation such as cannibalism are poor alternatives.

As for Rhubarb tasting awful try the following recipe for Rhubarb Crumble (goes nicely with a good buttery Chardonnay)

* Servings: 4
* Level of difficulty: Easy
* Preparation Time: 10 minutes
* Cooking Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients

* 200ml freshly squeezed orange juice
* 125g Sugar
* 2 star anise
* 1 stick Cinnamon, broken in half
* 1 vanilla pod
* 450g rhubarb

For the crumble topping

* 50g Butter
* 75g flour
* 50g demerara sugar
* 50g flaked almonds
* pinch ground cinnamon

To serve

* clotted cream, or custard

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and vanilla and simmer gently until the liquid becomes a syrup.

3. Meanwhile, cut the rhubarb into 5cm pieces and lay in a 23cm-square ovenproof dish. When the syrup is ready, pour it over the rhubarb and set aside.

4. To make the crumble topping, rub all the topping ingredients together in a mixing bowl until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Scatter it over the prepared fruit.

5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden. Serve with clotted cream or custard.

Edited by bentirran (04/11/07 05:37 PM)