In the "been there, done that department" dating back to my days in construction work, I had occassion to use duct and/or electricians tape to >>temporarily<< close / protect wounds (mostly smaller cuts in the 1 to 3" range on digits and limbs).

1. Make sure to have some sort of clean dressing/bandage/pad immediately over the wound.

2. If possible, I always tried to have some bandaging, even paper napkins around the area of the wound, around the hand / finger / arm / leg, then apply the duct tape using just enough tightness to stem the bleeding, and only having the duct tape touch the bandage/napkins etc. This may not be readily possible with wounds in other areas of the body and each individual situation is different, so YMMV.

Two reasons, neither tape sticks to blood, and when it comes time to properly treat the wound at the doctors office, it is really nice to be able to use scissors to cut the bandage off, instead having to "peel or yank" it off and risk increasing the trauma.

I'd shy away from using any sort of liquid to remove the adhesive tape though, really hate to have to get that cleaned out of the wound too.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I purport to dispense medical advice. This is simply sharing a method that I've used in emergency situations, until proper medical help was available.

Edited by Comanche7 (12/18/02 09:22 PM)