Part of my job is managing a fleet of business vehicles. This includes cars, suvs, and medium duty trucks.
I would strongly recommend a GM vehicle not only based on performance but also because they now have an AMAZING warranty! 100,000 mi. A traillblazer or tahoe (and they GMC versions) may be bigger than you need, they are the offroad capable suvs in the Gm lineup. The displacement on demand technology in GM suvs has made a tahoe able to get the same gas milage as other smaller suvs. They also can run on ethanol. As previously stated Explorers have become less and less of offroad vehicles. I have no experience with jeeps but have heard that they can either be great or plagued with problems.

- AWD is not the same as 4x4
- Light SUV = Light performance
- If it "rides like a truck, handles like a truck, it is a truck"

Customizing for survival:
- Sturdy Front Brush Guard/bull bar (protects the front of your car when in gridlock while evacuating)
- rear hitch caddy with a locking box (protects the rear of your vehicle and adds storage. Locking box is nice for security. Can lock extra gas up so it is not "borrowed".)
- lightly attached running boards (when "offroading" in a suv allowing non-essential items to tear away without damaging the vehicle is good).
- top luggage rack
- winch??? Ask yourself if you will need it.
- metal skid plate options
- Tires: Pavement or offroad?
- MAPS and GPS, Plan multiple routes

Then think about what can make your trip more comfortable.
-12 volt electric blanket and massage pad? smile