I would say your research and mine are in conflict becuase we are looking for different scenarios. You are looking at it as a problem with very tight and fine parameters that can be defeated with finess. I approach it as a problem with much wider parameters that is going to attack using brute force of a degree that would make the old Red Army look... subtle.

While what you are talking about is accurate for certain weapons that are designed to generate EMP as thier main action (although I do question the <30" and antenna and fuel injector survival), a phenomena (man made or natural) that produces an EMP as a side effect frequently is creating a spike of noise on all frequencies. So I don't worry about a given frequency, or it's harmonics, I hit stuff close to what you are set up to filter and try to spike it that way. And yes, most phenomena have a range of frequencies they like, but if you are only worried about one risk factor you end up being unprotected against others. (And I know about that- I've killed components that way on the bench in a couple of signals classes.)

These phenomena are also much more powerful those created by a dedicated EMP generator. EMP generating weapons are designed to reduce the effective range, so as not to endanger your own forces and to minimize collateral damage. But if I want to wipe out everything in a country, the most cost effective way is a high altitude detonation of a multimegaton device. If I believe they are shielded for aspike of X amplitude based on their public reports of being sheilded for .5X, I choose a yield that will give me 1.5X amplitude. And it will be a lot less expensive than clean EMP generator. Nukes are cheap, the alternatives obnoxiously expensive in comparison.

If I pump enough power into a circuit fast enough, it is dead. If I can spike it faster than the protective components can burn out or throw, or just hit it with enough current to get the pulse to arc through those gaps, then the circuit is gone. And heck, even if it doesn't die, if the surge heats with wiring to the point that solder joins fail or insulation melts and things short out, the circuit has failed.

Objective accomplished. I like the analogy of the bullet proof vests when talking about EMP- yes, it stops some bullets, but not all bullets, and unless I hit your trauma plate, I can stab you through one. If you pulse it right (say, tuned to the length of your average mouse cable or the distance between high tension towers if want to hit electrical and communications landlines), or just brute force it, the shielding is done.

And I'm not trying to be arguementative. I might be sounding cranky, but I don't mean it- it's been the week of morons at work *crosses eyes*- please tell me your customers have a better clue than mine do. My questions about the information stem from it being, as I said, a bit at odds with everything I've ever learned from people who were engineers for NASA and the DOD back when we didn't think that electronics were the wizards wand that will solve all our problems.

If I had to take a guess as to why the components you mentioned weren't effected, either (a) it wasn't reported (huh, the radio's dead, I'll buy a new one) because people don't add it up and (b) a long antenna picks up a lot more signal than a short one, so the pulse on something plugged into the grid is going to be worse.

Edited by ironraven (04/06/07 08:54 PM)