Quote:
What I do remember was that the local farmer was being videoed in front of a downed Apache proudly displaying his bagged aircraft with his Lee Enfield. The Apache did have a few bullet holes in it. The most noticeable one was the one through the left hand pilots window. I guess it could have been one that had been abandoned after developing a mechanical fault and the crew had been rescued and then a propaganda piece being fabricated.

I have no doubt that Apaches have been lost to hostile fire, just not from a local farmer armed with a .303. I imagine it was brought down with heavier weapons and the farmer then posed for a few "hero" shots for that nights Al Jazeera broadcast.

Quote:
The Garand was a semi-automatic model and as such had reliability problems as all semi-automatics do.

That is just flat out wrong. The M1 was far more reliable than any contemporary self loader. It was reliable enough to be standard issue--the only WWII semi-auto to achieve that distinction. It fired the 30.06 cartridge as well, which IMO holds a slight but noticeable ballistic edge over 8MM and .303. As far as bolt-actions go you are right, the Enfield does have the reputation of being the fastest. And I share your dislike of the 5.56 Nato, at least as a battle cartridge.

Just as an aside, I notice that you apparently labor under the delusion that anything and everything made in America must necessarily be inferior to its European, particularly British, counterpart. That's why you seem to come off as something of a Eurosnob, particularly when your posts then descend into mini anti-American rants. You might keep this in mind if you want to avoid being labeled a troll.