No matter how low key and low profile that you are about preparing for the unexpected, word will leak out. The word may get out to the family via those that you have conversed with over the subject of preparedness, word of your preps leaks out to the neighborhood via the neighborhood kids that play with your kids about the things they see and during conversations that they have with their parents, work that you did that temporarily exposed some of your supplies/preps to the neighbors view, etc. There are many different ways in which word gets out.

I am formulating a contingency plan that will allow greater shelter space and a better defensive positioning system. Here are some of the thoughts that I am examining:
1) My neighbor on the right-1 mom and 1 pre-teen son (at the moment), large brick house on a corner lot. Can be sealed up as a shelter within 12 hrs. The backyard is enclosed by a wooden privacy fence.
2) The house on the left-currently vacant (at the moment), 3 BR brick house w/an enclosed garage. Can be sealed up as a shelter within 6 hrs. The backyard is enclosed by a hurricane fence (2 sides hurricane fence/2 sides wooden privacy fence).

I have some close friends and family that would be coming to get shelter from me. I don't have enough room BUT, the lady next door will need help and I will trade her space in her home for the help and materials to seal it up, provide air, and supply them with the food and water needed for an undetermined amount of time. The extra bodies will provide a defensive force on this corner lot/my right flank.

We can "commandeer" the house next door (as long as it is vacant/negotiate with the occupants otherwise), Trade space in it for the help and materials to seal it up, provide air, and supply them with the food and water needed for an undetermined amount of time. The extra bodies will provide a defensive force on my left flank.

I can speak to the homeowners behind us (1 is on a corner lot) and enlist their cooperation in a community defense/cooperative survival efforts. We can trade knowledge, manpower, tools, and some materials to enlist their self and community interests.

I am thinking in terms of getting a sub division meeting started and let everyone share information, and see if a cooperative can be formed for mutual defense, skills sharing, etc.

These ideas are going to require a great deal more thought and will require me to stockpile some additional equipment and supplies. How about giving such a plan some thought and provide me with some feedback? I would appreciate it.