Here's my stuff (not in prioprity order):<br><br>1)firestarter kit (ignition devices + tinder)<br>2)Tikka headlamp<br>3)FAK<br>4)8x10siltarp w/cordage ties & alu stakes (sometimes this is a somewhat smaller sil poncho)<br>5)water container(s) w/ 1/2-1 liter of H2O<br>6)L tool (either PST or Wave)<br>7)best map of area (usually topographic at scale of 1:24,000 up to 1:50,000)<br>8)signal mirror<br>9)whistle<br>10)sleeping bag, appropriately warm, and as light as possible<br><br>In the real world the map mentioned above is always accompanied by a compass, a nice Silva K-20 I have carried for years, but I mention the map because in 98 of 100 situations the map alone is far more valuable than the compass. I am a little surprised we have not had a discussion about maps on this forum. <br><br> The wording of the question seems to exclude clothing, food, and the like, but again in most situations, I usually carry at least a coated nylon parka( very lightweight), some kind of synthetic sweater, a full brim hat, comfortable hiking boots, and at least some food (usually Clif bars at a minimum). I am also fond of a 1/2 liter aluminum pot w/lid and a lightweight cartridge stove - it really simplifies life.<br><br>Spiritual support is certainly very important, but that is carried in my head, along with a certain amount of knowledge and skill, all very light weight and generally adequate to the situation (so far at least!).<br><br>Looking over the responses so far, we are clearly preparing for different environments. The above has worked for me in southwestern deserts and mountains in generally dry situations (hence the inclusion of a water supply). Priorities would vary for different environments.<br><br>Another way to prioritize, and probably the way most of us approach the problem, is - What would include if you could only carry five pounds, ten pounds, etc.