It's the splices that are scary. Like taking putting peanut enzymes into tomatoes so they last longer and are tougher- that's something that has been tried. Looks like a tomato, tastes like a tomato, splats like a tomato when you kick it, but if you have certain allergies, it kills like a peanut.

Others are actually designed to produce their own pesticides. Sure, it's only supposed to kill aphids or repel potato beetles, but if it scaring away or killing the insect pollinators, well....

Don't get me wrong, I think gene mods are great. Like pharmagoats, or the silk worms who's poo is twice as strong as regular silk.I think the idea of modding pigs to produce harvestable organs that are compatible with humans and have something like a quarter of the rejection rate is great, but I won't eat one. They are industrial equipment of a biological rather than mechanical origin. I don't want them getting into the wild under any circumstances. And if it's outside and not sterile (and we've heard "don't worry, it's sterile" bit before), then there is no certainty that it won't get into the wild.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.