Kids are going to cut themselves this is part of the lesson.
After the whole safety speech and even if they are very safe sooner later they will cut themselves. This is part of the lesson and a segue into first aid training.

One day my brother who has two great kids (I am single w/ none) called and was feeling bad because his boy cut his eyebrow while playing with DAD (took a fall). My brother felt terrible. First off I told him that playing with your kid and even rough-housing is a GOOD thing and that his son had to earn his lumps; this is what makes us tough. So when they cut themselves remeber YOUR first knife and the first time it drew your blood.

When I give my nephew a knife it will be two; one will be a mini-stockman from Buck (I think it is called the Duece these days)and the other will be some single bladed folder with a lock.
I bought his dad (my Bro) the tiny buck while on a trip while in Jr High school he was about 10 . I was suprised to hear that he still has it and that his son wants to to give it to him. So I will get him one of his own. The locking folder will be a practical user.